Little Pricing Advice?

Business By savannah1986 Updated 28 May 2014 , 5:57am by SystemMod1

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 25 May 2014 , 5:39am
post #31 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

So you got $48 for those if you charged $2 each...On average my net is about 54% of my gross income, so for argument's sake let's use that. Which means that if I made those I would have been left with about $25 once all my expenses were paid (including advertising, insurance, ingredients, taxes etc). If I spent three hours on those that means I would have made a little more than $8 an hour. Four hours would have been  $6.25 an hour. Five hours would have been $5 an hour. Taking all the time you spent on them into account, including talking to the customer, shopping, cleaning, decorating, making the flowers etc, only you can decide if $5 an hour is enough for you to be making. I would personally prefer to take a nap for an hour if someone said I could work for an hour for $5 or sleep.

I agree.

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 25 May 2014 , 7:25am
post #32 of 85

AThis is what I know, whatever is your total expense in baking these cupcakes, triple it then divide by number of cupcakes, you baked that will give price for each one, by tripling the overall costs, this covers you're materials, time and efforts. You've done right by researching the other bakeries in your town for their prices and then adjust your price accordingly. That way you're not accused of undercutting the other bakeries.Also to save costs, make your decorations simple, rolled roses in miniatures, add Swiss dots, or anything that will make it look like you spent a week in decorating each cupcake. Good luck.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 25 May 2014 , 7:29am
post #33 of 85

AI know the multiply by 3 rule is popular, but it's incorrect and that strategy is not rooted in any kind of business sense. I know that a lot of blogs recommend that but it's just not good business practice at all :(

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 25 May 2014 , 9:42am
post #34 of 85

A

Original message sent by morganchampagne

I know the multiply by 3 rule is popular, but it's incorrect and that strategy is not rooted in any kind of business sense. I know that a lot of blogs recommend that but it's just not good business practice at all :(

Yep, agree.

My mum used to use the x3 principal in the 80's when she was a caterer, and *most* of the time it worked as her time was not spent making fiddly decorations etc.

If I used it for wedding cakes etc though, I'd consistently be undercharging by hundreds of pounds.

mzteaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzteaze Posted 25 May 2014 , 11:53am
post #35 of 85

AI live in NJ just outside of NYC, so I couldn't see those selling for less than $4 or so around here as a consumer. But, you have to consider your area and what the local market will accept. Don't giveaway your work or you will burn out quickly. I would think that you would need to consider a "simple" design that you can do in a timely manner yet meets a creative design that allows you to get paid for your hardwork.

Good luck.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 May 2014 , 4:12pm
post #36 of 85

My food costs are consistently about 15% of the total sale price of whatever I'm making. So if I spend $15 on ingredients, I know that I'm probably charging about $100 for that item. If I used the 3X rule I'd be charging $45 for it, which isn't going to cover my real costs and time.

Part of the problem of determining pricing is that you need to know what your real costs are, and simple formulas don't give you that. Once you do your taxes a few years in a row and see what you're actually making vs. what your expenses are you can get a pretty good idea about whether you need to raise your prices or whether you're charging correctly. Plus, what one person considers a "good" profit might not be what someone else would.

You definitely need to know what other people are charging for SIMILAR items, but if you're selling something that's different in terms of customization, choice of flavors, fillings, etc, you're not selling the same thing. Raise your prices based on how many options people are able to choose, that's why we call it "custom" cakes. I could walk into a furniture store today and buy a basic chair, but if I wanted a specific color, shape, etc I'd expect to pay more for it. Custom=More, so charge more for custom work.

Remember a few years ago when people tried the "basic wedding cake" option for a flat, lower price? That went over like a lead balloon with most brides, because they don't want to pick something out of a catalog and not make changes to it. You can't offer customized cakes at the same price that people pay for something they're choosing from a bakery case, it isn't the same product.

costumeczar Posted 25 May 2014 , 4:14pm
post #37 of 85

Also, be wary of anything or anyone who says "use this formula" and gives you a basic 1+1+1+1=4 formula for pricing. They're probably reading out of a textbook, and the textbook never ran a business.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 May 2014 , 4:15pm
post #38 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I know the multiply by 3 rule is popular, but it's incorrect and that strategy is not rooted in any kind of business sense. I know that a lot of blogs recommend that but it's just not good business practice at all icon_sad.gif

I will repeat: The standard pricing formula referred to in this thread is an accepted and accurate business practice used throughout the baking industry. However, it applies only to products with a relatively low level of labor such as drop cookies, muffins, rolls, and coffeecake type items.

THE BAKING INDUSTRY HAS NEVER SUGGESTED THAT IT BE APPLIED TO LABOR INTENSIVE DECORATED CAKES THAT REQUIRE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF TIME. 

morganchampagne Posted 25 May 2014 , 4:38pm
post #39 of 85

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

I will repeat: The standard pricing formula referred to in this thread is an accepted and accurate business practice used throughout the baking industry. [B]However, it applies only to products with a relatively low level of labor such as drop cookies, muffins, rolls, and coffeecake type items.[/B]

[SIZE=16px][B]THE BAKING INDUSTRY HAS NEVER SUGGESTED THAT IT BE APPLIED TO LABOR INTENSIVE DECORATED CAKES THAT REQUIRE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF TIME.[/B] [/SIZE]

Yes, I apologize. I did not mean to invalidate the strategy as a whole for OTHER business. I was speaking with cake decorating specifically in mind. Should have been more clear.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 25 May 2014 , 5:10pm
post #40 of 85

We are using Excel, Cake Boss and who knows what to calculate the exact cost of flour for a $200 cake. People are all worried about $25 of cost on a $200 cake, but selling it for $100. It's positively insane.

If home bakers would just learn what cakes should go for, they would make more money and mess up the cake business less.  When costs are the primary focus, we're missing the forest for the trees. The forest [market price] for the trees [costs].

Anyone knows that in business one needs to know their costs, but it's a sad mess that on this forum it holds true times a thousand.  What good is it to know you spent $1.28 on flour, $4 on sugar and butter and worked for 5 hours if you sell the cake for $100 under what you should be getting?

Quote:

You definitely need to know what other people are charging for SIMILAR items, but if you're selling something that's different in terms of customization, choice of flavors, fillings, etc, 

I'm really surprised that this distinction has to be made. Isn't it obvious? Are you literally implying it isn't obvious? If you are, that scares the heck out of me.

peppercorns Posted 25 May 2014 , 5:54pm
post #41 of 85

AI understand everyone's concern with this basic formula. However has not anyone ever thought that this formula only applies to your basic cake, cupcake, cookie,etc? One must have forgotten that you have to add fillings, other embellishments such as fruit etc, the handmade bouquet, or a fantasy flower, all of these adds up to your costs. When all of these are considered then do your math, and don't forget this applies to serving sizes. Of course you can add more if the requested design is labor intensive and all of these should be discussed to your customer before drawing your contract also with a stipulation that should there'll be changes while work is in progress that costs should be added too. If you have a license to sell your home based products you can also buy wholesale, and by doing that you can maximize your profit more.

peppercorns Posted 25 May 2014 , 6:13pm
post #42 of 85

AWow, I'm causing a lot of furor over this one. I use this formula though, but wait before making a conclusion, consider these few things : let's say I spent $10 for a basic cake, to serve 20 people $10 for filling, $10 for fondant to cover cake, then a small bouquet made of varying sizes, which I will again bill separately (depending on how intricate) say $20, using this formula gives me a total of $150.00 now I divide this number with 20 serving, that gives me $7.50 per serving. What do you think?

MimiFix Posted 25 May 2014 , 6:16pm
post #43 of 85
Originally Posted by howsweet 

Quote:

You definitely need to know what other people are charging for SIMILAR items, but if you're selling something that's different in terms of customization, choice of flavors, fillings, etc, 

I'm really surprised that this distinction has to be made. Isn't it obvious? Are you literally implying it isn't obvious? If you are, that scares the heck out of me.

howsweet, that IS the scary part. It's NOT obvious to many people; so for the purposes of.many pricing threads, we've been forced to state the obvious. 

peppercorns Posted 25 May 2014 , 6:45pm
post #44 of 85

AOh let me add this, if you think doing this formula does not cover your paper towels, aluminum foils etc, then by all means add cost of living increase to your price say 3% and adjust your percentage according to cost-of-living increase index.

costumeczar Posted 25 May 2014 , 7:23pm
post #45 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppercorns 

Wow, I'm causing a lot of furor over this one. I use this formula though, but wait before making a conclusion, consider these few things : let's say I spent $10 for a basic cake, to serve 20 people $10 for filling, $10 for fondant to cover cake, then a small bouquet made of varying sizes, which I will again bill separately (depending on how intricate) say $20, using this formula gives me a total of $150.00 now I divide this number with 20 serving, that gives me $7.50 per serving. What do you think?

I'd say that your pricing is off, because if you're spending $10 for fondant for a small cake you've got a supplier who's ripping you off. It's fine to throw numbers up there and say that the formula works, but I doubt the actual numbers would work out that way. Plus, if you're adding things to a starting price you're not using a formula, you're using a base price then adding on extras like "oh, you want icing with that? That will be extra." Telling people that 3X the price of ingredients works isn't how you price custom cakes.

Howsweet, I definitely am implying that people don't know the difference between the price of a drop cookie and the price of a custom cake, because they don't. Hahahaha! If you're going to a  bakery where they're churning out bulk cupcakes and say that's how you're going to set your pricing, you need to do some work.

costumeczar Posted 25 May 2014 , 7:23pm
post #46 of 85

Quote:

...If you have a license to sell your home based products you can also buy wholesale, and by doing that you can maximize your profit more.

The food wholesaler here is more expensive for me than going to Walmart. And a lot less convenient.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 25 May 2014 , 10:25pm
post #47 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

The food wholesaler here is more expensive for me than going to Walmart.

Absolutely true!

Want a little laugh, yesterday I was adding some pricing to my master ingredient pricing sheet and added pistachio paste to it. Purchased from Albert Uster a wholesale to the industry supplier they charge $104. per pound. I find nothing is cheaper from wholesalers until your buying in a huge volume! Than you better have a lot of business or your sitting on inventory with an expiration date.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 25 May 2014 , 11:18pm
post #48 of 85

I'm not sure the OP is still reading this thread…:-D

peppercorns Posted 26 May 2014 , 12:09am
post #49 of 85

AMake everything from scratch, fondant, royal icing, marzipan, utilize Places like Costco, they have bulk sugar, flour, ground your own cinnamon, weigh instead of going swoop and deep, if an order includes something very expensive and customer will not allow substitution then you must let customer know that this will be billed separately from the cake. I'm surprised that despite of all the discussions here no one has really come up with a solution to pricing. Despite of what everyone else is saying. I bill by that simple formula from my basic recipe and on to, according to the number of servings, flavors, decorations, etc. the price of the cake builds up from there. Of course you give your customer time to digest the expense involved with customized cakes. It is essential to have all prices spelled out even before anything is discussed. The easiest way to do this is to have a catalogue of your pricing for every details that maybe added on to your basic price. Be ready to have fresh samples for them to taste after you have come to agree to a specific design. Whew!

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 26 May 2014 , 12:12am
post #50 of 85

Quote:

Make everything from scratch, fondant, royal icing, marzipan, utilize Places like Costco, they have bulk sugar, flour, ground your own cinnamon, weigh instead of going swoop and deep, if an order includes something very expensive and customer will not allow substitution then you must let customer know that this will be billed separately from the cake. I'm surprised that despite of all the discussions here no one has really come up with a solution to pricing. Despite of what everyone else is saying. I bill by that simple formula from my basic recipe and on to, according to the number of servings, flavors, decorations, etc. the price of the cake builds up from there. Of course you give your customer time to digest the expense involved with customized cakes. It is essential to have all prices spelled out even before anything is discussed. The easiest way to do this is to have a catalogue of your pricing for every details that maybe added on to your basic price. Be ready to have fresh samples for them to taste after you have come to agree to a specific design. Whew!

Let me get this straight, regardless of design, your labor is always 2x your base ingredients? 

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 26 May 2014 , 12:19am
post #51 of 85

APeppercorns, I don't understand why you are arguing about pricing with people who are making a living at this if you make cakes as a hobby. That just doesn't make sense to me. ("Cake decorating is a hobby, not commercial")

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 26 May 2014 , 12:23am
post #52 of 85

Quote:

Make everything from scratch, fondant, royal icing, marzipan, utilize Places like Costco, they have bulk sugar, flour, ground your own cinnamon, weigh instead of going swoop and deep, if an order includes something very expensive and customer will not allow substitution then you must let customer know that this will be billed separately from the cake. I'm surprised that despite of all the discussions here no one has really come up with a solution to pricing. Despite of what everyone else is saying. I bill by that simple formula from my basic recipe and on to, according to the number of servings, flavors, decorations, etc. the price of the cake builds up from there. Of course you give your customer time to digest the expense involved with customized cakes. It is essential to have all prices spelled out even before anything is discussed. The easiest way to do this is to have a catalogue of your pricing for every details that maybe added on to your basic price. Be ready to have fresh samples for them to taste after you have come to agree to a specific design. Whew!

Also, your advice is really terrible because based on your pricing structure you should NOT make things from scratch as that is TIME consuming which your pricing structure does not take into account time whatsoever. Based on your structure you want your ingredients prices to be higher. ::sigh::

morganchampagne Posted 26 May 2014 , 12:27am
post #53 of 85

APricing is not a problem, therefore there is no "solution" it's a business principle. The problem in my opinion is that people are looking for solutions and formulas. There's no short cut you really have to research and just understand things for yourself.

Like costume said it's all fine and dandy to just throw numbers out there. But that multiply business is not good for cake decorating that's just it. In that example where the cake is $150 what's the profit margin and what's your labor cost. Multiplying by 3 covers that?

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 26 May 2014 , 12:27am
post #54 of 85

A[B]Be ready to have fresh samples for them to taste after you have come to agree to a specific design.[/B]

Are you suggesting giving them a tasting for free? Ummmmhhh........NO!

peppercorns Posted 26 May 2014 , 12:54am
post #55 of 85

AHello, as you wish, you are right, I shouldn't be arguing, I had been so naughty today. This thread however keeps coming up and I thought I'd jumped in. He, he

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 26 May 2014 , 1:00am
post #56 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecakewitch 

Be ready to have fresh samples for them to taste after you have come to agree to a specific design.

Are you suggesting giving them a tasting for free? Ummmmhhh........NO!

Why not? see this thread that talks about tastings :http://cakecentral.com/t/721855/taste-testing Some charge, some do not. It all depends on the baker and what is economical for them.

MimiFix Posted 26 May 2014 , 1:04am
post #57 of 85
Quote:

Hello, as you wish, you are right, I shouldn't be arguing, I had been so naughty today. This thread however keeps coming up and I thought I'd jumped in. He, he

I don't understand. You're here to create havoc?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 26 May 2014 , 1:25am
post #58 of 85

A

Original message sent by howsweet

So sorry, Smckinney07. I would have deleted my posts if there was still time. Y'all know I see red when it comes to pricing.

I've looked at them, mine are just setup differently, they are just basic pricing matrix's I've found on CC. I was just trying to give her an idea of what people take into consideration when pricing-since she was asking about the CakeBoss software.

No worries, I totally understand where your coming from! I get frustrated too, like you I depend on this income and I've worked very hard to build/maintain a customer base.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 26 May 2014 , 1:47am
post #59 of 85

AWow, after reading through the rest of this thread I in no way meant to suggest multiplying ingredients by 3. Obviously my ingredients are accounted for, as well as my dowels, boards, etc. into my base pricing but I also consider my area, time for baking, cleaning, shopping, insurance, design time, and so much more. Perhaps I should have been more specific, but like most of you, I have responded to this question many times.

morganchampagne Posted 26 May 2014 , 2:18am
post #60 of 85

A^ I don't think people were responding to you suggesting it, at least I wasn't. I was referring to peppercorns

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%