Martha Stewart Gold Leaf Cake

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 7 May 2014 , 11:40pm by AZCouture

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 7

I have a client who wants this cake  I know it is gold leaf.  Do I just apply the sheets willy nilly with a brush?  I was wondering if anyone made this cake any hints!  (want to do it over buttercream)  Where is the cheapest place to get the gold sheets?  Do you prefer loose of the ones stuck to paper?

Thanks

6 replies
Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 7 May 2014 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 7

I've not done this however I thought it looked interesting.  http://www.imtopsyturvy.com/gold-leaf-wedding-cake/

Also edible gold leaf is available at Amazon.  That is going to be one very expensive cake.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 7 May 2014 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 7

Get the ones backed with paper, sooo much easier. Get a brand new soft make up brush so you can use it to brush over the surface once adhered to make sure it sticks and there's no air bubbles. When adhering to fondant, I spritz the surface lightly with water or vodka, use a sponge to mop up the excess, position the gold leaf, brush over and remove paper. Don't touch the gold leaf as it will just stick to your hands. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 May 2014 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 7

ADefinitely follow that tute, don't take them off the sheets. And make it easier on yourself and apply it over fondant.

AZCouture Posted 7 May 2014 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 7

AAnd make sure to get actual gold leaf, not the stuff for putting on picture frames. Had to mention it because I've seen people mention they found "cheap gold foil" at Michael's or other hobby shops before. Blows my mind...but it happens.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 7 May 2014 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 7

Wearing cotton gloves helps a lot (like what you would wear to keep finger prints off of chocolate).  If you haven't worked with it before I would recommend that you try a small cake in silver leaf first, it will be about half the cost.

AZCouture Posted 7 May 2014 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 7

AOr, get some of that stuff from the hobby shop and practice on a dummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%