Opinions About 1St Wedding Cake

Business By aggiewife12 Updated 7 May 2014 , 7:46pm by cupadeecakes

aggiewife12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiewife12 Posted 6 May 2014 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 8

I have just started out selling my cakes. I have been making them for a few years for family and friends and my own children. This is the first wedding cake that I did. Everyone loved it and the bride was thrilled, so of course that is my main goal. However, I would like to hear the opinions of those that are in the business and are true artists. I am also a teacher, so this is my "part time" job so to speak. I am really loving it and I feel with each cake I improve a little more. I am always up front with my experience so the customer knows what they can expect.

It was a shabby chic style wedding, and this cake went well with the decor. My biggest complaint is the stupid cake board! Where do you find nice cake boards that aren't so cheesy and cheap looking?

7 replies
SugarJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarJen Posted 6 May 2014 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 8

Is it all BC?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 8

AThat's a great attitude to have, being upfront about what you can realistically offer. See a lot of people biting off more than they can fit in their mouth, let alone attempt to chew. Your attitude is quite a rare thing indeed. That's a darling bc cake, and I would have been pleased too. As for boards, I cut my own from half inch foam core in a pinch, but usually order cake drums from CK Products, and the general public can buy them from Global Sugar Art, or other online retailers. Can use the ones from places like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc., the Wilton brand, but those are a last resort for me. They're super flimsy.

aggiewife12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiewife12 Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, it's all buttercream. I like to use fondant for accents and I have covered a few with it, but it is not my strong suit. I am attempting more of it and learning to do some gumpaste flowers as well.

Thanks for the info on cake boards! I will look into those right away. :)

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 7 May 2014 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 8

AWhen you practice covering cakes with fondant, try icing your cakes with ganache instead of buttercream. That will make life so much easier. If you have to pull the fondant off, the ganache will stay put. Buttercream tends to pull off the cake with the removed fondant.

I like to use white chocolate ganache because it doesn't leave a dark color on fondant that will mess with the color if you have to tear it off and reroll.

SugarJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarJen Posted 7 May 2014 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 8

WOW- I can never get BC that smooth, which is why I prefer to work with fondant. Great job!

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 8

I'm not a huge fan of the actual design - but nonetheless, great execution! Very nice job.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 8

Very good job with smoothing the buttercream, and I really like those nice, tight diamond cuts in the buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%