Idea For Helping Fondant Cake Travel - Will It Work?

Decorating By johnbailey64 Updated 11 May 2014 , 9:07pm by johnbailey64

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 6 May 2014 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 14

I just finished reading lcubed83's post on traveling with her cake,, congratulations on a job well done!

Memorial weekend I will be traveling with a fondant wedding cake 5 or 6 hours. It will travel just plain, white covered, no decorations.

I worry about it setteling more with the vibration of the drive causing bulges. I was wondering if I wrapped it.. like with a roll of wax or freezer paper, like roll it out around the cake and tape it, as firm as I can, will it help it stay intact and not bulge?

I'll stack and add a border on site, also attaching dipped strawberries onsite as decoration.

Thoughts? On the was/freezer paper idea?

13 replies
lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 6 May 2014 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 14

I applied my fondant the day before, and it was well set by the time I left.  It was exactly the same when I got there!  I used Candy Melts to glue the cake tier/cardboard round to the cake carrier base, and to the cardboard box for the largest tier.  I loosely wrapped plastic cling to the layer in the box, just as a "dust cover."

johnbailey64 Posted 6 May 2014 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 14

How long did you let it 'settle' before putting the fondant on?

lcubed83 Posted 6 May 2014 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 14

Hard to say!  I had a lot of projects going on at the same time!

In trying to remember, I think the top tiers sat about 5 hours before fondant.  The bottom sat for about 18.  

johnbailey64 Posted 6 May 2014 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 14

Did you use fillings?

lcubed83 Posted 7 May 2014 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 14

SMBC-  mixed peanut butter in for the chocolate cakes, vanilla bean paste for the white cake.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 14

If most of your trip is on good hiway - roads like this barely affect the cake, so I don't see a reason to do anything but properly stack as usual. Especially if your length of travel off the hiway or freeway is just like any other cake delivery. Does that make sense?

In my experience, it's the non-highway roads that can jostle a cake.

johnbailey64 Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 14

Mostly highway, but Louisiana roads are not the smoothest. Guess I'll be holding my breath until I get there. lol. I'll drive Friday and set up on Saturday. I have family in the area to stay with, so that helps - that's the reason I'm doing this cake, my sister works with the bride.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 7 May 2014 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 14

Hmmm...

It sounds like on your first post you were worried about more settling. I let my cakes settle 5 hours. Then pop them in the frig and the next day scrape the bulge from the settling and cover with fondant. If I was worried about settling, I'd let the cake settle 10 hours.  Refrigerate for at least 5 more hours then take out and scrape off the bulge (from settling) and fondant.   I'd let the fondant set until the next day and then travel.

I'd think this would be enough - I routinely deliver 3 tier cakes about an hour away and there's never even a sign of trouble. But not over rough roads.

Once when I first started, I hit the brakes too hard and a single tier cake fell over onto its side and the only damage was that the 3d snake on top got his tongue broken! He was sort of wrapped around the cake, so maybe that helped protect it. But I couldn't believe it! What brand of fondant do you use. My snake cake was made with satin Ice.

johnbailey64 Posted 8 May 2014 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks. I need to get a timeline set for this one! lol. I make my own mmfondant.

That's prety amazing story. Hopefully I won't encounter hard stops.

I did travel 4 hours before with a cake, and there was some bulging and air pockets. It wasn't horrible, but the fondant had lots of decorations on it, so it didnt look too bad, I probably didnt' let it settle long enough.

But this one is NO decorations short of the dipped strawberries I'll be attaching cascading down the front of it. - so no hiding flaws.

I always say every cake has a back side, I guess this 'back' will be the front that gets covered with strawberry decoration! lol

I'm doing the groomscake too. It will be a tackle box.

People don't realize how much pressure there is with wedding cakes and especially if they have to travel!

lcubed83 Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:02am
post #11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbailey64 

People don't realize how much pressure there is with wedding cakes and especially if they have to travel!

I stressed over the one I did for almost a year!  I had so much to learn and practice.  It still wasn't perfect, but I was OK with it and the bride was beyond thrilled.  Now, I do have 3 more nieces that are closer to 12 hours away......LOL!

ef2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ef2006 Posted 9 May 2014 , 5:19am
post #12 of 14

AGallery

johnbailey64 Posted 11 May 2014 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 14

AOh yeah! Lol. I can relate. They just don't realize. Last niece I did a wedding cake for- traveled 5 hrs- assembled on site. Decorated ALL night- the middle layer was all pedal ruffle - I posted a picture on Facebook around 2am of some pedals, she said the next day " Aunt Linda - I didn't realize it would be that hard" lol. I just told her I loved her and was proud she got the wedding cake she wanted. It wasn't a freebie - my brother in law was generous, I was only going to charge what it cost me but he paid me more. :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%