What Chocolate To Use For Mud Cake?

Baking By musicmommy1 Updated 29 Apr 2014 , 3:51am by musicmommy1

musicmommy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicmommy1 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 9

AHi Everyone,

I am planning to trying my hand at Pam's mud cake for my son's upcoming birthday next week and was just wondering, what kind/ brand of chocolate do you like to use in your mud cakes? I have read a good portion of the mud cake scratch off thread but it is looooong so maybe I missed it :) I have some semi sweet dark couverture chocolate on hand but didn't know if that would be a waste to use in cake. Just really curious to know what you all use because I want this cake to be awesome!!!

8 replies
maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 9

AHi Musicmommy, mudcake is my new favourite cake! I can't help you with brands 'cos I'm in the UK but I can tell you I made my first two with good quality chocolate (£1.70 for 100grams) and my last one with supermarket value chocolate (35p for 100 grams) and I couldn't tell the difference. :-)

musicmommy1 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 9

AThank you maisie73! That's just the info I was looking for. I want my mud cake to turn out as awesome as everyone says it is. I'm sure it's fantastic but just didn't know if I needed super high quality chocolate to make it fantastic... If that makes sense :) thanks again!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 9

musicmommy1  Hershey's Special Dark bars were in the first one I made, and a 60% cocoa of some other brand (sorry can't remember the brand) for the second one.  It's just what was on the chocolate bar shelf in the grocery store.       Both resulted in a rich chocolate flavor.

musicmommy1 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

musicmommy1  Hershey's Special Dark bars were in the first one I made, and a 60% cocoa of some other brand (sorry can't remember the brand) for the second one.  It's just what was on the chocolate bar shelf in the grocery store.       Both resulted in a rich chocolate flavor.

Thank you MB!!! I'm so glad to know this. Perhaps I will just have to save my couverture chocolate for something else :) Can't wait to make this cake!!

MBalaska Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 2:26am
post #6 of 9

You're Welcome.  I bought 4 more bars of chocolate for another mud cake, and 4 bars to try out a white chocolate strawberry mud cake.   

musicmommy1 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 3:01am
post #7 of 9

Quote:

You're Welcome.  I bought 4 more bars of chocolate for another mud cake, and 4 bars to try out a white chocolate strawberry mud cake.   

Oh GoodNESS! That white chocolate mud cake sounds fabulous! I've seen those on the threads and I will definitely need to try one soon.

I do have a quick question for you though- have you ever made Pam's mud cake recipe? If so, was just wondering about the conversions. The ingredients listed in grams are no problem but I'm worried about the ones listed in cups. After reading the ENTIRE mud cake scratch-off thread (whew!) I understand that Australian cups are different than American cups and they use different cup measurements for liquid and dry ingredients. Not sure if it's safe for me to assume that Pam's ingredients (in cups) are the same as american cups. There's a link at the end of the recipe for a conversion chart but it is no longer working. Just thought I might ask you in case you had tried her recipe.

And now I feel like I just wrote a tongue twister!! LOL :)

MBalaska Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 3:36am
post #8 of 9

The answer is easy, cause I'm not that fussy the first time trying something new.

I weighed based on my normal American measurements.  Worked fine. both times.  Love Pams recipe.

musicmommy1 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 3:51am
post #9 of 9

Quote:

The answer is easy, cause I'm not that fussy the first time trying something new.

I weighed based on my normal American measurements.  Worked fine. both times.  Love Pams recipe.

Perfect! You totally put my mind at ease! I had read the recipe was forgiving but wasn't sure HOW forgiving. I won't worry about converting the Cup measurements then. Normally, if I were just experimenting for fun, I'd just give it a try. But, this one is for my son's birthday cake and I was hoping to avoid the hassle of having to re-bake any cakes if I could help it!!! Leave it to me to try a brand new recipe for an important cake!!!! LOL My husband asked, "Why not just use your regular recipe?". My answer, "Because that just wouldn't be as much fun!". :)

Thanks again MB! Your advice was a huge help :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%