How Do I Get This Effect ?

Decorating By ljdills Updated 21 Apr 2014 , 10:08pm by JWinslow

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 3

I really want to try the messy ruffle look as seen on the bottom tier of this cake.  I've tried googling to see if I could find directions or a tutorial but I'm not sure what it is called.  Can anyone help me ?  I tried figuring it out on my own and think I may have the just of it, please tell me if I'm anywhere close...  I've cut circles and ruffled the edges and tried folding them up, but when the fondant is still soft they just kind of collapse on me.  Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated.    

2 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 3

ABump! I'm interested in knowing what this technique is called too and how it can be achieved! :) thank you thank you in advance! :)

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 3

You can add a little tylose to the fondant but it shouldn't be necessary.  Make a bunch of individual ruffles at once putting them in a foil lined egg carton to set up a little.  By the time you finish the 12th one you should be able to put on the cake.  Apply randomly.

You can also use All-in-one rose petal cutters.  Cut, thin edges and twist at the bottom.  Cut off any excess and apply.  Hope this helped some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%