Nfsc Lack Of Taste?? Anything Better?

Baking By nefgaby Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 7:48am by tayesmama

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 2:01am
post #1 of 23

Hello everybody, I´m a big fan of Sugar Cookies and have used the NFSC recipe from this site twice, I love the way they turned out, that they don´t lose their shape in the oven BUT I´m not crazy about the taste, I don´t know if I´m missing some taste buds but for some reason I feel like they lack of taste/sweetness, to me they taste almost like a short bread, not very sweet at all... just wondering if anybody has a better tasting recipe that works as well as NFSC with the shape and is willing to share? Please!! icon_rolleyes.gif I would really appreciate it, I can´t wait to make more cookies but would love for them to taste as good as they look (hopefully they will look nice icon_biggrin.gif )
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it!

edited to add: I also need them to be able stay put on a stick, for cookie bouquets... thanks again!

22 replies
tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 5:18am
post #2 of 23

You could PM Mac for a delicious recipe by Penny McConnell. It's wonderful! Here's a link to a thread w/a little more info on her recipe:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-69731.html

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:14am
post #3 of 23

The dough itself is not very sweet, I think because most people use them with quite a lot of frosting on them. If the cookie is sweet too, it becomes too much.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:34am
post #4 of 23

I agree with 7yyrt....they are designed to be "not so sweet" accompanied with lots of icing! I have experimented a lot with the recipe with different extracts like butter, almond, lemon and vanilla and have grown pretty fond of it!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:45am
post #5 of 23

I posted a sugar cookie recipe in the files from Cooks Illustrated "Best Recipe" and it's yummy. Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2352-1-Master-Recipe-for-Rolled-Butter-Cookies.html

nefgaby Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

I posted a sugar cookie recipe in the files from Cooks Illustrated "Best Recipe" and it's yummy. Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2352-1-Master-Recipe-for-Rolled-Butter-Cookies.html

Thanks for the link, just a question, do this cookies lose their shapes when being baked??

Thanks to everybody else for their input, I just never thought of them that way and makes total sense... Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

nefgaby Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayesmama

You could PM Mac for a delicious recipe by Penny McConnell. It's wonderful! Here's a link to a thread w/a little more info on her recipe:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-69731.html

Thanks so much, I just sent her a PM! thumbs_up.gif

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 23

Here is my sugar cookie recipe. It is a huge hit wherever they go.
3/4 c. shortening (1 stick margarine and 1/2 stick butter)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla (I don't use because I can't taste a difference)
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

The secret is using part margarine and part real butter. After mixing, cut them out relatively thick and bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes. The time varies depending on your oven. I have tried dozens of recipes and this one I get compliments from even the hardest critics. The name is Traditional Sugar Cookies and it is found in one of those checkered books everyone and their mom has.

aminium Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminium Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 23

I use Martha stewart's recipe for sugar cookies. They hold up really well, and I do use them to make cookie bouquets too. Her recipe calls for 2TBS of milk, and I substitute that for flavored creamers...the creamer gives them just a subtle hint of flavor without adjusting the sweetness.

nefgaby Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 23

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, just a question... so I should NOT add the shortening, only use the margarine and butter, right?
And do they lose their shape when baked?
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!!

nefgaby Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aminium

I use Martha stewart's recipe for sugar cookies. They hold up really well, and I do use them to make too. Her recipe calls for 2TBS of milk, and I substitute that for flavored creamers...the creamer gives them just a subtle hint of flavor without adjusting the sweetness.

Thanks everybody, Gotta love CC!
Do you know where can I find this recipe? Would love to try it, and thanks for the tip on the creamer, love that stuff! thumbs_up.gif

aminium Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 23

I got it off of Martha's website...I don't know how to copy the link to a post, but the website is www.marthastewart.com

I just checked to see the recipe, and it's the same recipe I got last year, but minus the 2TBS of milk...I still make mine with the creamer and they work out fine...

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:43pm
post #13 of 23

This is the one on Martha Stewart's website--
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe1266&rsc=ns2006_sl4

I know sugar cookies aren't supposed to be very sweet (with the added icing being the sweet part) but I had hoped for a little more flavor with the NFSC, too. I've been experimenting with adding different flavorings to the NFSC, which helps. (Glad you asked the question!) thumbs_up.gif

KonfectionKonnection Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 23

Aminium--Glad you added the info about the creamer! I wanted to try that, too! (I think I've been on some kind of cookie making binge the last week or so . . . .) icon_razz.gif

nefgaby Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:46pm
post #15 of 23

OK, I don´t have enought THANK YOUS to give everybody, you have no idea, you all are life savers!!!!!

aminium Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 23

glad I was able to offer some advice, usually I just take in everyone else's! When I use a creamer that has a spice to it people say the cookies taste like snickerdoodles.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:59pm
post #17 of 23

Thanks, again! I'm making notes on the printout of that recipe--and I love snickerdoodles! Any particular creamer for this? (I'm not very familiar with all of the creamers, as I don't drink coffee.)

aminium Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 5:10pm
post #18 of 23

I've used different kinds of the liquid creamer...I like French Vanilla, Vanilla Chai, Hazelnut, Irish Cream I used the Pumkin Spice when it was out at the holidays. We aren't coffee drinkers either, but my kitchen is stocked full of creamers (both pwdered and liquid); I also like to use creamer to flavor my hot cocoa.

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 5:57pm
post #19 of 23

For the Traditional Sugar Cookies, I wrote it exactly like the cookbook and I know it sounds odd. You use 1 cup margarine and 1/2 cup butter. I had always tried it with one or the other and it didn't taste the same until I asked a friend what she used. I thought I was reading a typo, or that I really didn't know anything about baking language. They hold their shapes very well I think. Remember to make them thick, or they will taste like every other cookie you've tried.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:49pm
post #20 of 23

My recipe holds it's shape pretty well, too.

melissavisnicsheffel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissavisnicsheffel Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:58pm
post #21 of 23

I add 1 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg to the NFSC recipe. It makes a HUGE differnce in taste.

Melissa in N. KY

KonfectionKonnection Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:49am
post #22 of 23

Aminium--Made the NFSC, but added the Vanilla Chai Creamer. Just the flavor I was looking for! Thank you so much for sharing this tip! thumbs_up.gif

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:48am
post #23 of 23

I've added 1-2 tsp of cinnamon before and have had people tell they taste like snickerdoodles as well. Will definitely have to try adding the creamer sometime! Thanks for the tip! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%