How To Make A Fondant Snowflake

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 11 Apr 2014 , 1:21pm by -K8memphis

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 8

Anyone have any clue how to make a fondant snowflake without a stamped cutter?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 8

here's two ways:

1.) cut a pattern out of a heavy cardboard and trim away the fondant with an exacto knife--overpipe with royal to add angles and accent --sprinkle with sugar or glitter--

2.) make a cutter/s--make the outline them make a couple tiny ones to cut out the inner pieces--

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Cookie-Cutters

there are other tutorials available if you do an online search for 'making cookie cutters'

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 8

you didn't ask but my favorite way is to pipe white chocolate to make snowflakes

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 8

I use a mold, like for making chocolates.

kweenofengland Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 8

i need snowflakes by tomorrow. not enough time to order a mold, but i might look one up for next time!

I actually may try the white chocolate idea. Seems easiest. i already had to learn to make candy ice for this cake! 

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 8

ABuy a snowflake punch. Roll out gumpaste, let it sit to harden a little. Then punch away. Easy if you want a lot of snowflakes.

kweenofengland Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 8

I bought the snowflake punches. i bought 3 different sizes. The smaller ones I got for $1 and $1.99 at Michaels and I got a larger one for $13.99 at Hobby Lobby (but I used a 40% off coupon thank goodness). I had to roll the gumpaste literally paper thin to get it in the punch slot. Once it hardened slightly it was easy enough to punch. this morning i tried punching some more and realized that once the gumpaste hardens too much  the snowflakes just crumble and break. 

thanks for the tips ladies! i will try chocolate for my larger snowflakes. the punches only make them so big.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 8

awesome! wafer paper also works in the punches if you happen to have any laying around--

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%