Everything That You Ever Wanted To Know About Pricing But Were Afraid To Ask.

Decorating By enga Updated 27 Mar 2014 , 10:00pm by SystemMod2

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 8:52pm
post #31 of 40

This is from master spreadsheet that I add my ingredients and supplies right down to the extracts that I use. Its a basic formula to get your cost per pound and can easily be converted to ounces and then decimals. I hope this will help you to formulate your own pricing matrix.

(Converted from EXCEL to Word)

Formula: Cost divided by weight = cost per #    (if 0 it stays the same, 1-9 round up)

PRODUCT

COUNT PER PACK PER CASE

WEIGHT OF 1 ITEM PER CASE

TOTAL WEIGHT

COST OF 1 BAG OR CASE

COST PER #

ROUNDED UP

VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN

50#

CAKE  FLOUR

50#

BREAD FLOUR

50#

#DIV/0!

#DIV/0!

Table for Converting Decimals on Calculator

Use with formula cost sheets

1 ounce =.063            8 ounces = .500          15 ounces = .938

2 ounces = .125         9 ounces = .563          16 ounces = 1.00 or 1#     

3 ounces = .188         10 ounces = .625

4 ounces = .250         11 ounces = .688

5 ounces =.313          12 ounces = .750

6 ounces =.375          13 ounces = .813

7 ounces = .438         14 ounces = .875

Weight from invoices

.25 = 4 ounces

.50 = 8 ounces

¼ = .25

½ = .50

¾ = .75

* place you formula (weight divided by cost) in your cost per pound cell

cakesandtreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesandtreats Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 8:55pm
post #32 of 40

AWell Said....Thank You :)

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:09pm
post #33 of 40

Been there, Done that.  How quickly it was forgotten.

Here is (IMO) some VERY useful information.  I took the time to right out what I thought was most important:  http://cakecentral.com/t/764674/a-serious-rational-discussion-about-pricing

enga Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:12pm
post #34 of 40

* sorry, cost divided by weight = cost per pound

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:13pm
post #35 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by enga 

Well I hope not because the cycle needs to end. I hope that Heath will implement threads like this so that new members wont have to learn about the horrors of asking pricing or repetitive questions. 

There are members like you with thriving businesses that can offer a plethora of information on pricing. I'm just asking them to share that information without it being a heated discussion. A pool, if you will, of information and ideas, that are not archived but readily available for easy access. I'm still hoping that it will be a part of a FAQ's queue.

I sorry, that answer was for you AZ

But he didn't.  We asked for the things we thought would be beneficial.  NOTHING changed.

I tried that.  Didn't go well.

enga Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:17pm
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Been there, Done that.  How quickly it was forgotten.

Here is (IMO) some VERY useful information.  I took the time to right out what I thought was most important:  http://cakecentral.com/t/764674/a-serious-rational-discussion-about-pricing

I meant no disrespect DeliciousDesserts, that's part of the problem. Insightful threads like yours need to be front and center not locked and forgotten.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:25pm
post #37 of 40

AFound yours in a Google search, Delicious!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:25pm
post #38 of 40

The dead horse is complaining about being beaten - again.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:33pm
post #39 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

Well I hope not because the cycle needs to end. I hope that Heath will implement threads like this so that new members wont have to learn about the horrors of asking pricing or repetitive questions. 

There are members like you with thriving businesses that can offer a plethora of information on pricing. I'm just asking them to share that information without it being a heated discussion. A pool, if you will, of information and ideas, that are not archived but readily available for easy access. I'm still hoping that it will be a part of a FAQ's queue.

I sorry, that answer was for you AZ

But he didn't.  We asked for the things we thought would be beneficial.  NOTHING changed.

I tried that.  Didn't go well.

well i am hoping for some changes too and because of the book they are publishing and because of this coming up in a few short weeks http://http://cakecentral.com/b/classes/seattle-2014 i think our board owners are quite busy-- i mean if i just have some kids over for dinner i am covered up--so i can only imagine how busy/stressed they are--

so i honestly believe that some change is coming but it's all in due time thing--

i really like the good parts of cc and i think it can be a ton of a lot of fun to chat about cake -- one of my all time favorite things to do--and i think we can have some hope while looking forward down the road a bit more ~~

fingers crossed

SystemMod2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod2 Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 10:00pm
post #40 of 40

This thread is being locked.

Enga - you cannot command members to share their private business information regarding pricing and profit. Not only is this highly presumptuous, but it also is not something that can be carbon copied and applied to any other individual or business. We are not running franchises, we are all individual sellers, with a huge range of skills, in a huge range of markets all around the world.

As has been discussed in NUMEROUS threads, and highlighted again in this thread (eg.   http://cakecentral.com/t/764674/a-serious-rational-discussion-about-pricing), there are many, many resources out there, both paid and free, that ANY legal business can access to help develop ways of pricing their own products.

But there are basics that apply to any business. These points have been discussed innumerable times, on this forum, every single time a pricing question is asked.

Anyone beginning a business needs to have an understanding of pricing to cover costs, overheads, wages and profit. If they do not understand these basics, they need to seek professional assistance.

Non-approved, "Illegal" businesses have no business selling cakes. This is also well-known and has also been discussed at length in this cake forum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%