How To Make A Picket Fence And Attach It To Cake Board?

Decorating By Enchantedcakes1 Updated 3 Apr 2014 , 8:32am by MBalaska

Enchantedcakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes1 Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 4:25am
post #1 of 17

AHi everyone! I am going to be making a cake that will replicate the house from the movie "Up". I need to make the white picket fence that surrounds the house and my question is how do I make the fence? What should I make it out of? Gumpaste? If so, will it be too hard and possibly crack in transport or anything like that? Should I use 50/50 gumpaste/ fondant? Will it dry? And how far in advance should I make it to dry in time? And my major question is, how do I attach it to the board once it is dry? It will not be attached to the cake..it will be going around the edge of the cake board and I'm just at a loss on how I can do this without it falling or breaking. Please help!!! Thanks![ATTACHMENT=1558]image.jpg (502k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

16 replies
hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 17

If the fence pickets are not going to be eaten, maybe you could make them out of construction grade gingerbread. This stuff is amazing.   You can roll fairly thin and bake lower and longer.  Then you could cover with royal icing or fondant.  I have a gingerbread recipe if you would like to try this.  I would go with thin royal icing because I don't like rolling fondant more than I have to. 

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 17

I used something called Platinum paste for the cake in my profile pic!  Tastes of lemon.  I made them a week before I made the cake and they were quite sturdy.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 17

I would make out of straight GumPaste and let dry (you could make it weeks ahead of time).  If you add any fondant it will remain soft or get soft if covered in a box for a period of time.  I have some flowers that I made 5 years ago with a 50/50 mixture and are still soft.

I would attach with melted chocolate (either white or dark candy melts). 

As for transport - you might run the risk of a few pickets falling of but that can be remedied at the venue with more melted chocolate.  Personally, I would take the pickets & chocolate to the venue and attach there on the display table after the entire cake is 'done'!

Another hint:  How about attaching some bushes around the inside of the fence for a little support if you are definitely going to transport with everything attached.  Then attach the bushes to the fence with the melted chocolate.  Chocolate is much stronger than gum glue, water, and/or piping gel.  Best wishes - you can do this!!!  Please post your pics when you are done.

books Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
books Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 17

check out this blog     http://www.searchlawrence.com/Gingerbread_Pixars_Up_Carls_House.php   She explains her hole project!

Enchantedcakes1 Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 17

AThank you all so much for your replies. I think I'm probably going to try to use straight gumpaste and "glue" them down to the board with chocolate. If they aren't very sturdy maybe I will take Cookie4's advice and put some bushes around to help support it. Thanks again for all these ideas. Crossing my fingers!! I'm making the cake for a party on the 30th so I'll post pics after :)

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 12:18am
post #7 of 17

why don't you  use two cake boards...a large one and a smaller one...cover the smaller one in green fondant for grass or pipe grass - whatever- and then "glue" the bottom back of the pickets to the smaller boards edge. 

Enchantedcakes1 Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 3:30am
post #8 of 17

AOh my gosh! That is so beyond genius!! I feel so much more comfortable and confident now on them making it to the event! Such a great idea! Thank you Savannahquinn!!

savannahquinn Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 17

A

Original message sent by Enchantedcakes1

Oh my gosh! That is so beyond genius!! I feel so much more comfortable and confident now on them making it to the event! Such a great idea! Thank you Savannahquinn!!

Your very welcome!

Rudd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rudd Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 17

I actually am cheating on the beach themed wedding cake I'm making for my friend in May & using the mini picket fence I found in the wood section at JoAnn's craft store. I know they have them at Michael's too. They are already white so no painting, I just have to figure out some sort of "sleeve" (something like a flower pick) so they aren't actually touching cake when I place them on the cake in case they aren't food safe.

Enchantedcakes1 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 3:38am
post #11 of 17

ASo I ended up using Savannahquinn's suggestion and went with the stacked cake board to hold up the fence and it turned out great. I didn't have any problem at all and just attached them with melted chocolate. This was my first carved cake and challenging is definitely an understatement. I still have a lot to learn but I was happy with the way it turned out. Thanks again for all your help :D[ATTACHMENT=1599][ATTACHMENT=1600]image.jpg (1,537k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]. There are also more photos on my facebook page if you'd like to check them out[ATTACHMENT=1601]image.jpg (871k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] Just search Enchanted Cakes and Bakes

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 17

Awe - the final cake turned out adorable.  Love how the fence looked and so glad the chocolate trick worked for the fence along with the double stacked boards (the boards were such  great idea).  Thanks for posting your picture.  The house/cabin etc... looks amazing - you did such a great job!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 5:56pm
post #13 of 17

Wow, the cake is awesome. Congratulations!!! did you just insterted the balloons? what are the balloons made out of??

savannahquinn Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 17

ACame out terrific! So cute!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:31am
post #15 of 17

That really worked out brilliantly.  You created a great looking cake.

MBalaska Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:31am
post #16 of 17

MBalaska Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:32am
post #17 of 17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%