Price For Ruffled, Tiered Cake

Business By AbbieCakes Updated 22 Feb 2014 , 5:07am by AbbieCakes

AbbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbbieCakes Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:38am
post #1 of 5

Hey all- I have an order for a 3-tiered cake (most likely will be 6-8-10'') wedding cake and I already know my base per serving, but I've never made a cake like this so I am trying to figure out how long it will take. I know I can do it, but I have nothing to base a time estimate off of.

As far as my skill level... I've been doing this for about 4 years and I'd say if I took a class, I'd be right between the end of intermediate and advanced levels. I'm estimating about 62 feet of those 1'' ruffles to cover the tiers, if that helps. 

If I have an idea of the hours it'll take, I'll be able to give her a quote at the consult. I am horrible about estimating my time. I don't know about you all, but somehow, cake elements always seem to take way longer to come together than I ever think they will :) 

Thank you so much! 

4 replies
AbbieCakes Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 4:23am
post #2 of 5

The cake will look something like thins...

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 4:48am
post #3 of 5

AGet a dummy, make it in that style from start to finish, time yourself, and you can reasonably come up with the answer based on what you already know about your costs.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 5:00am
post #4 of 5

Set timer, make a foot of it and apply to a dummy. Stop timer.  Multiply time x 62

Remove from dummy and weigh it.  Multiply weight x 62 so you can find out how much the extra materials with cost you, too.  Of course, you will have to figure out how much your gumpaste costs per oz, too.

Keep notes in a notebook so that you know what it will be if anyone else orders this treatment.  Boy, do I need to take my own advice!  I can't believe this amount of logic is coming out of my brain.

HAHAHA I just said that like THAT'S what I do.....I would just guess how long it would take and hate myself for underestimating!

And if my math is wrong, I apologize.  I am deliriously tired...

AbbieCakes Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 5:07am
post #5 of 5

Thank you both! BeesKnees578, that is a fabulous idea! It's efficient and effective...I love it. As much as I'd like to practice the whole thing, I just don't have the time. I'm so with you...I never have timed myself and as I've mentioned, I ALWAYS underestimate. You'd think I'd learn! lol Don't worry, you made total sense. Thank you so much! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%