Strawberry....

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 17 Feb 2014 , 1:15am by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 4

AI haven't been here in a while - dealing with breast cancer! I must be recovering though, friends are asking for cakes again! Lol!

My brain is mush right now - each direction I go in hits a wall - and I'm afraid it's just me, so I thought I'd ask you for input! I did a yellow cake with a strawberry buttercream filling for this girls graduation 2 years ago, now her mom wants another going away cake for that daughter. More strawberry - but I'd like to do something a bit more exciting. Is there a reason I don't see many recipes for strawberry cake? And I was thinking about a strawberry cheesecake filing with some of the graham cracker crust in it - but no one ever seems to put any crust in it - I thought it might add a nice flavor dimension- am I off? Then I was looking at making a strawberry fluff using homemade marshmallow fluff, but I'm not sure....

I don't know if it's the tamoxifen or what, but my brain no longer thinks clearly. I would be thrilled if someone could help clear the fog and get me moving on this! :)

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 4

Strawberry fluff using homemade marshmallow fluff sounds delicious. Wildgirl, glad you're feeling well enough to post again. :) 

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 4

You're thinking a lot clearer than I ever did.  :-)    Many blessings to you as you mend.  I offered strawberry cake to my brides but find that the combination of both a strawberry cake and strawberry filling plus strawberry jam as part of the filling was way too much strawberry for most grooms.  The cheesecake filling sounds great, if you can apply it thinly enough so it won't weigh down the tier under it (cheesecake is pretty heavy).  And about the cracker crumb crust?  Very interesting.  How about this.  Have you heard of some decorators who use leftover cake crumbs mixed with icing to spackle or crumbcoat their cakes before applying the final coat.  That might be a good way to include the crust?  Or putting the baked cake on top of a cheese cake (with crust) cut to the same size as the cake.  Then frost over it all and put fresh strawberries and some of the crumbcoat as the filling.  Would go like this from the bottom up.  Crumb crust, cheesecake, regular white cake tinted light pink, filled with strawberries and buttercream or strawberry jam followed by the top cake.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 1:15am
post #4 of 4

AOk, that gives me some more to think about! Sounds complicated though... Just reading it makes me want to go lay down - lol! I think I have a cold creeping up on me, so that isn't helping. Dh is on the way to the store for me - so I will try the fluff, the cheesecake, strawberry cake, and a yellow cardamom cake I just read about that used strawberry filling. I'd rather use a recipe from my files at this point, but that just won't work.

And thanks for the support! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%