Hand & Wrist Support Gloves

Decorating By linnburg Updated 3 Mar 2005 , 1:54pm by southerncake

linnburg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linnburg Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 7

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I can't find it , so:

Does anyone use the Wilton hand & wrist support gloves? Do they really help? Is there anything else that can be used to keep my hands and wrists from hurting when I decorate? Once my hands get tired (sometimes only a matter of minutes) they begin to ache and shake! I take frequent breaks and massage them and do finger and hand stretches, but that is all so time consuming!

Help!
Sandi

6 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 7

You could also use ones that they supply in the first aid area in walmart that would probably work just as well.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 8:22am
post #3 of 7

Ya know I dont ever get problems with my hands hurting.... no matter how many cakes I have done in a day, but I cant seem to stop them from "shaking" or bouncing up and down. Any suggestions there?

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 4:38am
post #4 of 7

Sandi,

My "regular" job is medical transcription, so I use my hands a lot. Some days I may type for 10 or 15 hours and then have to decorate a cake. I think I'm starting to get carpal tunnel and my hands do the exact same thing, especially with basketweave wedding cakes, etc.

I have used Handeze gloves (www.handeze.com) for my typing for several years and now I cannot live without them. I recently starting using them when I decorate and it has helped so much!

I am not sure if the Wilton gloves are the same, but if so, I highly recommend them!!

Good luck!

Amy

PS - I also find that heat helps me.

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 11:16am
post #5 of 7

I have carpal tunnel syndrome & I know what you are talking about! After discussion with my MD (who told me to stop decorating) and a medical supply store where I got my original wrist brace (who said you have to live too), I purchased a wrist brace from my local pharmacy called "Futuro sport adjustable wrist support". My apologies if I am not supposed to use brand names! Anyways, this is somewhat flexible, but provides enough support most of the time and easily hand washable. On days when it gets really bad, I wear my full support brace and just use a latex glove over it (which is what the medical supply store suggested). I have also found that parchment bags make it worse. Maybe the way you hold them? I have to use the featherweight bags or disposable bags. I hope this helps. I bought one of those craft gloves from WalMart to try when I cross stitch and it really didn't help me, so I just use the adjustable or my regular brace then also. If you want to try the craft glove, I can send you mine!

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 11:33am
post #6 of 7

My problem is my hands fall asleep when I'm concentrating too hard. Once I relax my arm, it's a lot better.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 7

Nashsmom -

I completely agree - parchment bags are rough on my hands! I have to stick with plastic disposable!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%