Indydebi's Buttercream Help!

Decorating By nanasmom Updated 8 Feb 2014 , 9:27pm by celiazumbach

nanasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasmom Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 4

I want to try Indydebi's buttercream recipe for a cake due this weekend but I have a few substitution questions as it needs to be kosher and non-dairy!

Can I sub the following:

Dream Whip - is this the same thing as instant pudding powder?

Milk - can I sub for soy milk?

Crisco - can I sub with hi-ratio shortening?

ty!!!

3 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 12:49am
post #2 of 4

I haven't used indydebi's BC recipe, but based on the pudding and dream whip ingredients they are scary, ummm, I mean sort of similar.

Pudding is sugar, starch and flavor and dream whip is the same plus oil.

instant pudding ingredients:

Sugar, Dextrose (from Corn), Modified Food Starch, Contains Less than 2% of Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt, Disodium Phosphate and Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate (for Thickening), Mono- and Diglycerides (Prevent Foaming), Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Artificial Color, BHA (Preservative).

Dream whip ingredients:

sugar, dextrose, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut and palm kernel oils), modified cornstarch, propylene glycol monostearate (emulsifier), sodium caseinate (from milk), and less than 2% of cellulose gel, cellulose gum, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, natural and artificial flavor, acetylate mono- and diglycerides (emulsifiers), sodium silicoaluminate (anticaking agent), yellow 5, yellow 6

Here is a thread discussing the same topic with some more tips http://cakecentral.com/t/653861/indydebis-buttercream-dairy-free

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 2:12am
post #3 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanasmom 

I want to try Indydebi's buttercream recipe for a cake due this weekend but I have a few substitution questions as it needs to be kosher and non-dairy!

Can I sub the following:

Dream Whip - is this the same thing as instant pudding powder?no, it is a powder to mix with milk and make whip cream, consistency much different then pudding

Milk - can I sub for soy milk? have not tried it, have sub coffee creamers with success

Crisco - can I sub with hi-ratio shortening?yes

Good luck!!

celiazumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiazumbach Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 4

ASoy milk doesn't whip up like cows milk, I have tried it in instant pudding and it didn't work. Google Kosher butter and it should come up with a variety available.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%