Home Baker Turned Store Front Owner???

Business By AivaCake Updated 6 Feb 2014 , 6:55pm by -K8memphis

AivaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AivaCake Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 2:43pm
post #31 of 39

AOh, I'd much rather honesty than "go for your dreams!" Haha. I know at some point in my life I want a bakery. I want to be the one brides automatically think of when they want the best, without a doubt, and I know I have the capability, it just might take a little longer :). Maybe it's better to stay home and build a great reputation so that when I DO open a store front, people are lining up for the grand opening and I can bathe in my money from then on out! Bahaha! It doesn't work like that?? ;)

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:06pm
post #32 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I can remember when I worked in a storefront it was crazy but it was very very fun. I'm the kind of person though that doesn't mind working all the time. I remember the owner though being very stressed. Idk I still think id like a store front one day like you...we will have to see I guess

I know you know this, and I am not trying to be argumentative, but working in a storefront and being the owner of a storefront is apples and oranges. Even if you are a manager or boss, it's still not the same as being the owner. As the owner the buck ultimately stops with you, you are ultimately responsible for every apsect of your business. So it's not just about the hours and working all the time (although that is part of it, you really don't have a life outside of your business!), it's about the stress. It's emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausting. I remember feeling like I could never really rest, because even when I was home reading a book or out to dinner with my husband, thoughts of the business were constantly running in my mind. Now, that may very well be because I'm a perfectionist and a little obsessive... :lol: So that may not be the case with a different temperament.

Again, I'm not saying it's never a good idea or that it absolutely can't work (obviously it has worked for some!), just that you need to realize what you are getting into, and make an educated decision based on that.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:16pm
post #33 of 39

AI thought I had made that distinction in my other post I see I didn't. I had asesentence about seeing the owner stressed all the time. Idk what happened to it lol

Edited to add : oh, no its in there. But yes I completely understand there's a difference between owner and employee..

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:25pm
post #34 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 
I remember feeling like I could never really rest, because even when I was home reading a book or out to dinner with my husband, thoughts of the business were constantly running in my mind.

You had time to read a book or go to dinner?  Lucky . . .

:)

Liz

AivaCake Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:44pm
post #35 of 39

AHaha, I think about business out to dinner, when I'm supposed to be asleep, etc all the time, as it is. And I am most definitely a perfectionist and obsessive, as well! haha!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 6:33pm
post #36 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

You had time to read a book or go to dinner?  Lucky . . .

:)

Liz

Haha, barely! Usually when we just said "enough!" and locked the doors. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurenSadler 

And I am most definitely a perfectionist and obsessive, as well! haha!

Ain't it grand? :lol:

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 6:38pm
post #37 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I thought I had made that distinction in my other post I see I didn't. I had asesentence about seeing the owner stressed all the time. Idk what happened to it lol

Edited to add : oh, no its in there. But yes I completely understand there's a difference between owner and employee..

I know you made that distinction, that's why I said "I know you know this" :)

I just know some may have worked in that environment and they might think "This is fun! I could own my own shop!" without realizing all of the behind the scenes that goes into it.

AivaCake Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 6:52pm
post #38 of 39

Oh yeah, if I had someone to do all my baking, leveling, wrapping, trimming, stacking, crumb coating and final smooth coat, I'd sit and decorate cakes all day long, a happy girl!  Oh, but there's also the book keeping, the advertising, emailing, invoicing, and so on and so on.  Gosh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 

Haha, barely! Usually when we just said "enough!" and locked the doors. ;)

Ain't it grand? :lol:

Ugh, it never fails.  The night before some big event (recently - the bridal show), all I could think about and dream about was cake.  Had a dream someone wanted a price quote for this huge sculpted cake and instead of pricing it - i jumped out of bed to start making it, not even knowing if she actually wanted to order or what the specifics were or anything.  My husband is used to me jumping out of bed saying "OH NO the cake is falling!!!!!" Cake nightmares are the worst. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 6:55pm
post #39 of 39

well deserved payroll checks for hard working people that are drawn from rather than deposited to your own bank account is an icy cold chilling moment of too much reality --doing it repeatedly can result in diarrhea --whoa

:lol: 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%