How Do I Defrost A Frozen Cake Covered In Fondant?

Decorating By jlongridge Updated 24 Jan 2014 , 12:34pm by BeckyRink

jlongridge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlongridge Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 9

Hello!

I made my very first fondant covered cake a little while back for my mom's birthday.  She got very sick and the party was postponed.  I covered each layer (3 layers) in plastic wrap very tightly, then in foil and froze each layer separately.  Well the party is this Sunday night and today is Thursday.  I still need to pipe a design on the top layer.  How and when should I begin the defrosting process?

Friday at 12pm on the counter until Sunday at 12pm?  Then should I pipe on Sunday?

HELP!!!!

8 replies
jlongridge Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 2:48am
post #2 of 9

Ahelp!!!

hopey1attnet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopey1attnet Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 2:54am
post #3 of 9

Did you make your cakes from scratch?

jlongridge Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 3:01am
post #4 of 9

yes! Each layer is different - carrot with cream cheese filling, vanilla with raspberry filling and one is chocolate with peanut butter filling.  

hopey1attnet Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 3:08am
post #5 of 9

You should take your cakes out Friday night or Saturday Morning no later than that. After your cakes are out you want to remove your plastic and aluminum coverings as soon as possible. Keeping them on will create droplets of water on the inside at a much faster rate. Once the coverings are off gently pat your fondant with a paper towel. You may still end up with spots depending on your color of fondant and the temperature of the day. Decorate your cakes about an hour or two before the party depending on how much you have to do and you should be fine. :)

kmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmanning Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 3:16am
post #6 of 9

AYou could take it out of the freezer and leave it wrap in all layer and let it sit out. Check it periodically to make sure there is not a lot of moisture building up. That's the problem with fondant, it sweats and will ruin. When the cake is almost thawed out take the wrapping off.

I have never frozen a fondant cake before, this is just what I would try. If someone gives you advice that has done it before take their advice.

kmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmanning Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 3:19am
post #7 of 9

A

Original message sent by hopey1attnet

You should take your cakes out Friday night or Saturday Morning no later than that. After your cakes are out you want to remove your plastic and aluminum coverings as soon as possible. Keeping them on will create droplets of water on the inside at a much faster rate. Once the coverings are off gently pat your fondant with a paper towel. You may still end up with spots depending on your color of fondant and the temperature of the day. Decorate your cakes about an hour or two before the party depending on how much you have to do and you should be fine. :)

I didn't see this post before I posted. I assumed that the condensation would build up on the plastic and aluminum coverings. But like I said I have never frozen a cake with fondant before.

hopey1attnet Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 3:25am
post #8 of 9

No worries. Thanks:-D

BeckyRink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckyRink Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 9

Start by keeping it wrapped and put it in the fridge.  Less of a temp difference.  Allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight, then bring to room temp.  When you bring it out for the counter, take the wrapping off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%