Can I Leave Ganached Cakes Out?! Uk

Business By helenabakes Updated 21 Jan 2014 , 6:49pm by JWinslow

helenabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helenabakes Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 4

I am in the Uk and I have just had my third environmental health inspection which all went great, apart from the fact I told her I have started to ganache my cakes. She has insisted that I will need a separate fridge to store the ganache (which is no problem) but that the finished, covered cakes will then also need to be refrigerated  - which as I'm sure most of you know will ruin the sugarpaste and decorations. Does anyone have any evidence/advice I can use to convince her that it is ok to leave them out? I really don't want to stop using ganache! I have read that once the cream is boiled it reduces the risk but I don't think alone will convince her. TIA!

3 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 4

AI have had exactly the same issues and it took months to resolve- in the mean time I was not allowed to use ganache!!

I actually paid to have my ganache tested for microbial stability; use elmlea cream as its more stable than fresh and add as much sugar as you can stand the taste of (although I tested a non-added sugar sample as well and it was stable at room temperature for up to 7 days ratio 3:1 choc:cream)

If it helps I can send you a copy of my recipe and the water availability result, that might give you argument enough to insist that she have a test carried out on your ganache- if they conduct the test for you it's free but I hadnt sufficient evidence to justify one.

Best of luck

Gray

helenabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helenabakes Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much for replying, I had done a few google searches but couldn't find anything conclusive. If you could send the recipe and results over it would be a great help! Hopefully she will take it into consideration. I couldn't believe is wasn't ok as I know so many high profile cake businesses who do it. I had just thought about Emlea and will definitley give it a go.

Thanks again,

Helena

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by helenabakes 

I am in the Uk and I have just had my third environmental health inspection which all went great, apart from the fact I told her I have started to ganache my cakes. She has insisted that I will need a separate fridge to store the ganache (which is no problem) but that the finished, covered cakes will then also need to be refrigerated  - which as I'm sure most of you know will ruin the sugarpaste and decorations. Does anyone have any evidence/advice I can use to convince her that it is ok to leave them out? I really don't want to stop using ganache! I have read that once the cream is boiled it reduces the risk but I don't think alone will convince her. TIA!

I refrigerate my finished, fondant, fully decorated cakes all the time.  I box them and seal all edges with painters tape (cause it's easy to remove).  This protects the cake against the humidity in the fridge.  When I take it out, I leave the cake in the box at room temp or 2-3 hours before removing.  Any condensation will go to the box.  I haven't had it fail me.  Just another avenue for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%