Tiered Cake

Decorating By tasteetreats Updated 9 Feb 2014 , 7:19pm by tasteetreats

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 2:38pm
post #31 of 45

Or go to a flea market/antique shop. The dustier the shop, the better. They always have some old really heavy rolling pins for less than $20. I love my old ones!! I would disinfect the heck out of it with bleach,  unless the other bakers know something about bleach not being good on old rolling pins. 

Nancy

musicmommy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicmommy1 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 2:52pm
post #32 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancylee61 

I did this the other day. Great suggestion!!! The dummy is even, so it is good for fondant practice. I got about 5 different looks with one roll of fondant for my portfolio. 

Nancy

I think I need to do this too. Don't know why I've been putting it off. But, stupid question, how did you get so many different looks? Did you take your decorations off and put on different ones? The whole idea of decorating a fake cake is a big ? to me :smile:

Quote:

Sadly, I had to buy a Wilton $7 leveler. Can't afford the Agbay this year. Do you ever see any sold used???

Well, the Wilton leveler is better than nothing, right!? At least, that's what I'm telling myself for now and it's definitely better than putting a knife in my hand :-D I am going to try to save for an Agbay though. I definitely can't afford to go buy one now. I did do a quick search on cragslist in my area but they had nothing and I've never seen one sold used around here. Although, the idea of buying an extremely sharp cutting tool on Craigslist just creeps me out! LOL. 

tasteetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteetreats Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 6:40pm
post #33 of 45

I'm definitely going to check the flea markets hopefully today before the Ice storm so I'll have something to do all night and all day tomorrow :)

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 6:45pm
post #34 of 45

Yes, I put yellow fondant on, with elephants cut out of the fondant, took pictures, then carefully took it off. I tore, but I was going to reroll it anyway. I added red coloring to make it orange, and then put it on the cake again. It ripped this time, it was more "sensitive" so I took it off, rerolled and did it again. Here are some of the incarnations. I am just practicing, so I have lots to learn, but it did give me three or four times fitting it to the "cake." My first time, too! 

Doggie Love!

Practice

Elephant Love

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 8:53pm
post #35 of 45

Quote:

Yes, I put yellow fondant on, with elephants cut out of the fondant, took pictures, then carefully took it off. I tore, but I was going to reroll it anyway. I added red coloring to make it orange, and then put it on the cake again. It ripped this time, it was more "sensitive" so I took it off, rerolled and did it again. Here are some of the incarnations. I am just practicing, so I have lots to learn, but it did give me three or four times fitting it to the "cake." My first time, too! 

nancylee61:  that's a pretty cool idea.  You got three photos out of this one cake. Well Done.

You got it on so smoothly also!

musicmommy1 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 8:54pm
post #36 of 45

Nancy- thank you for sharing! I love the idea of being able to practice multiple times on one cake dummy. I don't know why, but I kind of thought you could only use it once, like a real cake. Anyway, I need to start practicing my fondant skills and will definitely give this a try. Thank you :)

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 9:03pm
post #37 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmommy1 
 I am going to try to save for an Agbay though. I definitely can't afford to go buy one now. I did do a quick search on cragslist in my area but they had nothing and I've never seen one sold used around here. Although, the idea of buying an extremely sharp cutting tool on Craigslist just creeps me out! LOL. 

You've never seen a used one for sale bc anyone who has one would never sell it, seriously,  the Agbay and the airbrush have changed my cake decorating process so completely I can't believe how long it took me to save up for them. I should have left other purchases until later and bought these years ago. I can not stress enough how important these tools are to cake decorating. I know there are those that say the airbrush is not as important but for me bc I have a weak wrist from all the kneading I find it invaluable and such a time saver. Put away (if you can) a few $ or € or whatever your currency is from every cake until you have enough. It will be well worth it.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 9:21pm
post #38 of 45

AI saw them demonstrate the Agbay at the NEC and knew I had to have one.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 9:48pm
post #39 of 45

I have a double-blade Agbay that I'm going to use for a giveaway later this year, bwuahahaha! I was going to wait but maybe i'll do it sooner rather than later. I have the single blade one and I love it, and one of my friends who isn't doing as many cakes sold me her double-bladed one to give away. Used three times, just like new.

FYI they're also good for cutting your fingertips open if you're not being careful, I learned this the hard way.

Claire138 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 10:02pm
post #40 of 45

Or the top of your fingers - I was in hospital friday for stitches:( I don't blame the agbay though I blame myself, I was too tired & had too much too do so wasn't paying attention. Have to be really really careful.

musicmommy1 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 10:22pm
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138 

Or the top of your fingers - I was in hospital friday for stitches:( I don't blame the agbay though I blame myself, I was too tired & had too much too do so wasn't paying attention. Have to be really really careful.

Yikes Claire! Hope your finger is feeling better. And yes, I do plan on saving up for an Agbay. I definitely think they are worth the money, just have to save it up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I have a double-blade Agbay that I'm going to use for a giveaway later this year, bwuahahaha! I was going to wait but maybe i'll do it sooner rather than later. I have the single blade one and I love it, and one of my friends who isn't doing as many cakes sold me her double-bladed one to give away. Used three times, just like new.

FYI they're also good for cutting your fingertips open if you're not being careful, I learned this the hard way.

Oh costumeczar- this is very exciting!!! I will be keeping a look out for that!!! Just curious, in case I might not win said giveaway :razz:, do you guys think it best to invest in the full size model or do you think a jr would suffice? Just curious which you all have and what your thoughts are. I am a home baker. Generally my biggest cakes are 12 inches but I did do a 14 inch once. For now, I am not in business. But I have not counted that out for the future. I am just not ready for that quite yet.

Claire138 Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 6:11am
post #42 of 45

Thanks Musicmommy, I will definitely be more careful in the future.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 11:29am
post #43 of 45

A

Original message sent by musicmommy1

Yikes Claire! Hope your finger is feeling better. And yes, I do plan on saving up for an Agbay. I definitely think they are worth the money, just have to save it up!!!

Oh costumeczar- this is very exciting!!! I will be keeping a look out for that!!! Just curious, in case I might not win said giveaway :P , do you guys think it best to invest in the full size model or do you think a jr would suffice? Just curious which you all have and what your thoughts are. I am a home baker. Generally my biggest cakes are 12 inches but I did do a 14 inch once. For now, I am not in business. But I have not counted that out for the future. I am just not ready for that quite yet.

I'd go ahead and get the regular sized one.

musicmommy1 Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 2:16pm
post #44 of 45

Thank you- I will have to look into that :D

tasteetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteetreats Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 7:19pm
post #45 of 45

Wow the dummy cakes looks awesome!!! Yes I will be investing in a few new things and Classes are at the top of the list. lol You guys have given me renewed inspiration and I cant wait. Is using the airbrush difficult?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%