Red Icing

Decorating By bunky48 Updated 22 Jan 2014 , 4:28am by MBalaska

bunky48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunky48 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 15

PLEASE HELP... I have a batch of icing done. It is suppose to be red but it is a pinkish color. Can I add another color to get it red. I have let it set for about 6 hours and it darkened a little but still not red.

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 15

what kind of food color are you using--the brand and the name of the color so someone can help you out--and how much icing do you have to color

bunky48 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 15

I am using Wilton no taste red.

bunky48 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 15

and It is about 3 cups.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 15

yes put in more color--judge how much to add by how far you got first time--

see if it was grocery store food color--it likely would never get to red but on the other hand i haven't used grocery store red food color in eons either--

but anyhow --you should be able to get there--keep adding

bunky48 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 15

I just used what I had I think it will be ok. BUT I was reading somewhere else where the girl added  cocoa. I might try that next time.///THANK YOU for your help...

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 12:12am
post #7 of 15

I think the easiest way to get Red is to use pink coloring and then add your red coloring,  The pink gives it a little bit of a boost to the red you may want and another way is to use Ameri-color red.  Believe me, it gets red quickly and you don't use so much to get it that way.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 12:24am
post #8 of 15

AI've also read somewhere on here that someone put a touch of black to the red to make it deeper, hope that helps

bunky48 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 15

Thank you VERY much. I have 2 full sheet cakes coming up for a Galla supporting wounded warriors. So I am going to need lots of red white and blue for it. I am going to do some testing with colors...Thank you again.

farmgirl2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmgirl2012 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 15

I have had this same problem, so thanks for all the replies also!  Have you all ever had trouble with the red icing tasting 'funny'?  I think when I color something deep red it starts to taste weird.  Am I doing something wrong?

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 15

I used to have the same problem with Wilton. I switched to AmeriColor and problem solved. I very rarely have to stress out about my reds; usually when I want it to be deeper I add a little bit of brown (never black). 

farmgirl2012 - you might be adding too much color, so essentially your royal icing just tastes like food coloring. 

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 15

A

Original message sent by farmgirl2012

I have had this same problem, so thanks for all the replies also!  Have you all ever had trouble with the red icing tasting 'funny'?  I think when I color something deep red it starts to taste weird.  Am I doing something wrong?

Use "no-taste red" from wilton or tulip red from americolor. They do not have the bitter taste that other reds have.

candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 15

Here's a trick I learned from a graphic designer to get that bright red color we all love but often have difficulty achieving.

Start with orange!  Color your white icing or fondant with orange first, then add the red.  I like the Americolor Super Red the best.  It still takes a lot of color, but the results are great!  I have tried it with the Wilton too and it does work, but it just takes even more color.

My cake decorating teacher taught us the cocoa method years ago, but I was never able to achieve that bright red color I wanted with it.

Good luck!

sundaerose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundaerose Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 4:09am
post #14 of 15

I always start with Wilton's deep pink then add lemon yellow and finish with red-red.  Attached is a Valentine's buttercream rose cake.  

The cake and piped leaves were frosted with the red color and the roses are Americolor tulip red.   Hope this helps.Red velvet cake with cream cheese buttercream icing.  The roses are made with vanilla buttercream icing and placed on red floral foil.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 4:28am
post #15 of 15

Using Powdered colors in addition to the gels and pastes also helps deepen the color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%