Need Inspiration For An Australian Themed Cake....

Decorating By Faradaye Updated 10 Jan 2014 , 11:04am by scrumdiddlycakes

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 3:32pm
post #31 of 46

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok 

So what do kangaroos taste like?

(let me guess...chicken?)

BTW, I'm loving all the Aussie slang.  It's like reading an excerpt from a Crocodile Dundee movie! 

Not sure what they taste like, but in cake, it should be Red Velvet :D like Steel Magnolias Armadillo cake.

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 10:14pm
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faradaye 

My other idea was to replicate the big banana, big pineapple and big prawn with RKT. But how to stop it from being tacky?

Sorry honey, there is no way to make the 'Bigs' not tacky, and I say that with love, because I love the 'Bigs' (actually had my year 12 formal at the Big Pineapple).  Sadly though the Big Prawn no longer exists and the Big Pineapple is not open anymore.

BTW, not ALL Australians eat Kangaroo, having lived in outback Qld for a while I saw far too many on the side of the road to ever think of them as appetising.

What about a giant swagmans hat or a giant lamington?  Please let us know what you ended up doing.

Faradaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faradaye Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 6:49am
post #33 of 46

Well, I think I am going to be inspired by our recent Ashes win (C'mon Aussie!) and I'm going to do a square cake with a cricket pitch and two blokes kitted out with pads and the baggy green, have a hit of cricket.

I did think of a hat with corks hanging from it...but.....I can't work out how not to make it tacky.  And you're right, Pixie, all the 'Bigs' and just tacky by default.  Lol.  But don't we all love them!

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 10:10am
post #34 of 46

Quote:

BTW, I'm loving all the Aussie slang.  It's like reading an excerpt from a Crocodile Dundee movie! 

oh no - NOTHING like chicken....  its really quite gamey - probably a combo of beef steak and venison.

(for us older Australians it can be harder - it used to ONLY be used for pet food - and I can still remember that dreadul smell when my parents used to boil it up for the dogs)  Thanks goodness it has changed - sold in all major supermarket chains now - along with Kanga Burgers, Skippy Snags

but crocodile DOES taste like 'fishy chicken'   and ... emu ??  like chicken you dropped in the sand !!  hehe

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 8:04pm
post #35 of 46

Quote:

I did think of a hat with corks hanging from it...but.....I can't work out how not to make it tacky.  And you're right, Pixie, all the 'Bigs' and just tacky by default.  Lol.  But don't we all love them!

Are those hats actually worn there? I saw one once on a children's cartoon (Bob the Builder), but thought it was a joke at a tourist's expense!

ApplegumPam Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 8:26pm
post #36 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaBaker 

Quote:

Are those hats actually worn there? I saw one once on a children's cartoon (Bob the Builder), but thought it was a joke at a tourist's expense!

Yeah.... they are worn.... its how we keep track of how many bottles of champas we have drunk !!    bwahahaha

nah  NOT a joke and yes they do REALLY exist - can't say I have ever seen anybody wear one where I live - but if you are anywhere near the Aussie Ouback you will see an updated version......  more likely to be a hat with 'netting'  -   bush flies have to be seen to be believed .... and if you are in tropics the mozzies can eat you alive!

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 9:41am
post #37 of 46
Love the Ashes idea!
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 10:39pm
post #38 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

......... and if you are in tropics the mozzies can eat you alive!

In Alaska the mosquito is the state bird.......they are awful.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 10:48pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:

Quote:

oh no - NOTHING like chicken....  its really quite gamey - probably a combo of beef steak and venison.

(for us older Australians it can be harder - it used to ONLY be used for pet food - and I can still remember that dreadul smell when my parents used to boil it up for the dogs)  Thanks goodness it has changed - sold in all major supermarket chains now - along with Kanga Burgers, Skippy Snags

Hmm. From Ogden Nash's narration script to Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals:

Quote:
I could not eat a kangaroo,
But many fine Australians do.
Those with cookbooks as well as boomerangs,
Prefer him in tasty kangaroomeringues.
ApplegumPam Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 11:08pm
post #40 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm. From Ogden Nash's narration script to Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals:

Quote:

Sorry - I think we live on different planets.....   everytime I read one of your posts, I feel I need to read it backwards or look at it the mirror  -  maybe others find it easier but I always find I sit here going..... WTF is THAT about??

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 1:43am
post #41 of 46

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry - I think we live on different planets.....   everytime I read one of your posts, I feel I need to read it backwards or look at it the mirror  -  maybe others find it easier but I always find I sit here going..... WTF is THAT about??

I am so glad I am not the only one!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 8:53am
post #42 of 46

so there's not going to be an Australian Hottie Hunk in thongs cake??????  No Chris, No Hugh, No Eric???

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 12:23pm
post #43 of 46

Quote:

haha! funniest post I've read in a while

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 12:28pm
post #44 of 46

Being a certifiable outback nut I can say that I have never seen anyone wearing a hat with corks except for fancy dress.  I think they went out of fashion in the dark ages.  Oh, woops, I don't think there were any white Australians here then.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 11:04pm
post #45 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Being a certifiable outback nut I can say that I have never seen anyone wearing a hat with corks except for fancy dress.  I think they went out of fashion in the dark ages. 

haha - I was thinking the same thing, the good old Akubra is well and truly in use but never have I seen anyone wearing a cork hat.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 11:04am
post #46 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

so there's not going to be an Australian Hottie Hunk in thongs cake??????  No Chris, No Hugh, No Eric???

They get our hopes up, just to crush them...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%