How To Stack A Cake With A Fish Bowl In The Middle???

Decorating By kbhaile Updated 6 Jan 2014 , 5:31pm by MyFairDiva

kbhaile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbhaile Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 3:05am
post #1 of 7

Please help! I have searched the threads and couldn't find the answer. I need to make a 3 tier cake but the middle is a fish bowl. I will either use a glass or plastic fish bowl and it will be a fondant fish inside so he won't need air lol. I'm so nervous about this cake and regretting agreeing to attempt it. I appreciate any advice, TIA!!! 

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 4:51am
post #2 of 7

Here's one I did some 8-10 years ago.  Sounds like your's will be very similar.   I don't remember much detail about it but if you have any specific ?s shoot me a PM.

I do remember using double cake circles under each cake and I did talk the bride out of using real, live fish because the reception was on a boat that would be taking a cruise around the lake and I was concerned 1) about the fish getting air and 2) water sloshing onto the cake.  I never had any feedback from the bride so I guess there were no problems. http://cakecentral.com/g/i/59369/a/60369/

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 7

AI would use sps support under the fishbowl and cover the plate with Fondant under the bowl. I would put top cake on foam core line the top Of bowl with fondant or double sided foam tape and put top tier On. Stack on site. I think it won't be too hard ! Good luck !

kbhaile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbhaile Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 9:44am
post #4 of 7

Thanks ladies, gorgeous cake! I will post pics and let you know how it turns out!

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 7

OMG this sounds so brilliant and different, when you have completed it please share the pic ;-)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 7

yes beautiful cake, kakeladi!

i think i would color the bottom of the board that sits on top of the fish bowl--color it a light blue watery design for continuity--for the short peeps ;) 

probably not necessary but an idea--

also mirrors would be fun on this if the weight of the cakes is not too much--

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 7

AMaybe if you use a fishbowl with a perforation in the base you put a long rod through the middle that held the bottom and top tiers, and cover the fishbowl segment with some fondant seaweed/seashells. That would work if you don't need to put water inside. If you do, I'm thinking you could use that kind of gel used for "sea themed" candles, it doesn't dissolve unless you apply heat; that or Jello, but the fishbowl-rod would need to be sealed where the little base hole is, so the gelatin doesn't have any place to go. I hope it turns out fantastic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%