How To Make "steam" Fondant For A Steam Train?

Decorating By Dev1450 Updated 26 Dec 2013 , 3:35am by hbquikcomjamesl

Dev1450 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dev1450 Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 7

Hi

I have my train all good to go (its a small train topper on top of a welcome baby-boy cake) and the Dad keeps asking for steam from the train.

I put a toothpick into the smokestack and covered it in fondant and make curly white fondants curls but it broke off. 

Does anyone have any idea what to attach to the train so that I can make the steam stay on?

Thanks.

6 replies
Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

Cotton Candy ? Ive seen it all around in stores in large containers for about $4 and small bags for about a $1. I bought a small bag of candy cane flavored at Kmart and it tasted great, I also saw some at the Dollar tree. Ive seen it at Walmart and Target also.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 7

I used cotton candy for my steam on my train cake.   Would that be a possibility?

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakery2012 

Cotton Candy ? Ive seen it all around in stores in large containers for about $4 and small bags for about a $1. I bought a small bag of candy cane flavored at Kmart and it tasted great, I also saw some at the Dollar tree. Ive seen it at Walmart and Target also.

;-D used it for my gingerbread house

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 7

We use a cotton ball pulled apart to look like smoke.  Not edible but it sure does make great smoke on a ginger chimney or train smokestack.  Just need to warn the customer to pluck it off.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 2:40am
post #6 of 7

I've seen rock candy on a stick used...it looked really nice.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 3:35am
post #7 of 7

AThought occurred to me that (depending on how detailed your locomotive is, of course), you could have cotton candy "steam" venting off the cylinder cocks (e.g., from the engineer purging water from the cylinders when starting after a layover), or the generator, or the air brake compressor, or even out the boiler blowdown exhausts (purging sediments from the boiler).

Merry Christmas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%