Scratch Cupcake Recipe Failure

Baking By Tanayla_treats Updated 28 Dec 2013 , 5:01am by liz at sugar

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 7:55pm
post #31 of 40

P.S. it's only truly wacked out when the forces that be make things disappear.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 8:17pm
post #32 of 40

AFromScratch's recipe is very good! I've also tried it.

There is so much you can learn if you are willing to listen-or read in this case.

It takes time, knowledge and lots of trial and error to perfect a recipe from scratch. The science behind scratch baking is fascinating, something I'm still learning about.

You've already been given a lot of great advice.

CupcakeProject.com have a couple scratch recipes (I haven't tried them myself) but they did a vanilla and chocolate version that several people sampled & tested.

Tanayla_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tanayla_treats Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 8:27pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Geez, Louise... Happy New Year everyone...

Happy New Year!!! I know, I know!

I apologize to anyone who may have taken offense to my post(s).This is exactly why I'm considered a "newbie" to CC, because I usually simply read the discussions and never (until five days ago) ask questions or post comments to other threads.

Huugghh, now I'm annoyed that others are annoyed because I did try to be polite and respectful. I should've followed my gut and ignored statements that I found to be insulting and rude for no reason at all. I just don't like it. My mother has taught me right from wrong and I know what I'm capable of. I also know to keep my mouth shut if I don't have anything nice to say. Anyone who knows me personally, knows that I try to avoid conflict in person and online.

My intent was to simply seek helpful advice and suggestions for improving my cupcakes. Just like most of you, I don't want to engage in arguments-debates, whatever you want to call them, I can do that on fb, lol! 

Again, I apologize to anyone offended or upset. I'll do better!! The teacher in me feels a little better now. No more "bucket dipping!!!!"

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 8:55pm
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanayla_treats 

Happy New Year!!! I know, I know!

I apologize to anyone who may have taken offense to my post(s).This is exactly why I'm considered a "newbie" to CC, because I usually simply read the discussions and never (until five days ago) ask questions or post comments to other threads.

Huugghh, now I'm annoyed that others are annoyed because I did try to be polite and respectful. I should've followed my gut and ignored statements that I found to be insulting and rude for no reason at all. I just don't like it. My mother has taught me right from wrong and I know what I'm capable of. I also know to keep my mouth shut if I don't have anything nice to say. Anyone who knows me personally, knows that I try to avoid conflict in person and online.

My intent was to simply seek helpful advice and suggestions for improving my cupcakes. Just like most of you, I don't want to engage in arguments-debates, whatever you want to call them, I can do that on fb, lol! 

Again, I apologize to anyone offended or upset. I'll do better!! The teacher in me feels a little better now. No more "bucket dipping!!!!"

You will be fine, there are a lot of strong personalities on this site, I'm sure they mean well their delivery just seems a bit blunt and straight to the point sometimes. As with any dialog on the internet, you cant see facial expressions or hear tones so things get taken the wrong way at times.

Welcome to posting on CC!!!   Ummm, by the way what is bucket dipping? Lolz

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 10:41pm
post #35 of 40

While we are on the subject of A Better White Cake from FromScratchSF, has anyone made it into a Champagne cake version?  Need to make a few New Year's Eve cakes for our restaurant, and wondered if it would be better to add real champagne in place of all or some of the buttermilk, or just add some Lorann's Champagne emulsion/extract with the vanilla.

Thanks!

Liz

Stitches Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 10:52pm
post #36 of 40

I can't offer a recipe or advise on a champagne cake but I do have an excellent champagne sabayon recipe that tastes bright with champagne... and goes well over many flavors of cake.

liz at sugar Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 10:56pm
post #37 of 40

That sounds great, Stitches.  What kind of champagne do you use?  I always seem to lose the flavor of real champagne when adding it to cake batter, but I don't really love the Lorann champagne flavor.  I'd love your sabayon recipe.

Liz

Stitches Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 11:01pm
post #38 of 40

We're just about to eat dinner......I'll post after, ok.

Really need to pick a champagne you like to drink (I like sweet wines for dessert). I was lucky working in a higher-end place that the bar people would give me nice left-overs from people who only bought a glass.

Stitches Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 11:22pm
post #39 of 40

Sabayon Recipe from 4 Star Desserts:

Cook by whisking everything together over a water bath, like a custard (which it is).

8 yolks

3.5 oz. sugar

1 pinch of salt

5.75 oz. champagne

Chill it either for a couple hours in the cooler or over an ice bath. When it's cold fold in:

8 oz. heavy cream whipped.

It lasts in the cooler for 8 hours or so, but begins to deflate over night.

You can use the base recipe and change out the liqueur....or combine a liqueur with a fruit juice for a less strong alcohol hit. It's very adaptable because the custard is pretty strong. I've made this in giant batches and there's no problem increasing the batch size, just don't scramble your yolks.

I hope you like this, I LOVE this recipe and use it often.

liz at sugar Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 5:01am
post #40 of 40

Thank you so much Stitches!  I will give it a try on Monday!

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%