Airbrush Kit

Decorating By BatterUpCake Updated 16 Dec 2013 , 5:39pm by BatterUpCake

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 10

Finally broke down and bought a beginner level airbrush kit. Has great reviews and the price is right. If anyone has used one of this model before please tell me your experience with it. Also what do those of you who airbrush use as a spray booth??? I am thinking of fluorescent light plexiglass panels

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009TCMOMC/?tag=cakecentral-20

9 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Finally broke down and bought a beginner level airbrush kit. Has great reviews and the price is right. If anyone has used one of this model before please tell me your experience with it. Also what do those of you who airbrush use as a spray booth??? I am thinking of fluorescent light plexiglass panels

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009TCMOMC/?tag=cakecentral-20

I don't have that model but it's very similar. I use a large cardboard box on it's side to paint in, big enough for a large cake and turntable. Works in a pinch but you have to get your lighting right so you're not working "in the dark" if you know what I mean.

Get a very good mask for your nose and mouth, it's gross, really, and all that stuff ends up in your lungs. 

Practice with a childs colouring books to start with, both flat on the table and propped up against something. 

The best thing I ever did though, was take a class with someone. It was great, especially since I was scared to take the airbrush out of the box for over a year in case I painted the whole place green or something!

But if your package includes a DVD it will be a good start. 

Also, it's very addictive. You will want to airbrush everything :D. Have fun!

BatterUpCake Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 10

;-D

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 10

I bought my first one at the November cake fair, I love it but 2 weeks after colouring a cake with a beautiful blue colour I am still finding blue in the strangest places - this after putting up a plastic table cloth behind the cake for when I did the airbrushing; I did not keep in mind the sides, and floor and anything else in the kitchen. I was blowing blue out my nose for 2 days! Thankfully, in my other job I work in a hospital so now use face masks. For my next job I think I'll cover the kitchen top to bottom!

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 12 Dec 2013 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 10

Let us know how you like the Master Airbrush please.  Thanks.

BatterUpCake Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 1:07am
post #6 of 10

well since I have never used one I am probably not the best judge but I will give you input from a beginner's prospective..

hoping it comes tomorrow..

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 10

I just purchased this brand, but the lower-end model. It was about $50. I really don't like mine, however, I've been spoiled by the Kopykake Airmaster at the grocery store where I work. The Master one I have has really uneven spray power - this one might be better! Mine blasts the cake with the first spray then tends to even out. It's like it builds up air pressure then releases it all with the first spray. It's a perfect size for a home baker, and does the trick, but if you're serious about airbrushing and will use it a lot, I recommend the Kopykake brand. 

BatterUpCake Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 10

well it came in the mail today. I might give it a shot tonight

BatterUpCake Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 1:23am
post #9 of 10

not gonna get to play with it tonight. I found a badger gun on sale from $422 to $60. Another site had it on sale for $300. It may take an adapter but will still fit my pump..

BatterUpCake Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 10

did arose with it...lots of fun. Worked well didn't leak. Needs lots more testing to reach a conclusion...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%