Mini Xmas Cakes Cooking Time

Decorating By Jennifer204 Updated 29 Nov 2013 , 6:42am by Jennifer204

Jennifer204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer204 Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 2:42am
post #1 of 8

Hi Guys....I have been cooking some mini (3" & 4") xmas cakes, but am somewhat confused over checking for when the cake is cooked.)   The skewer came out clean, the cake bounced back when pressed lightly, but in my opinion the cake is still too "stodgy" inside (more like a bread pudding I think if you know what I;m referring to?)  Does anyone know why, when the skewer comes out clean & to all intents & purposes the cake appears cooked, but in my opinion isn;t quite there!

Is there something in particular I should be looking for with xmas/fruit cakes that I have been missing?

Any suggestions/advice would be most welcome :)

Thanks guys.

Jen

7 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 1:14am
post #2 of 8

I've always put a pan of water underneath fruit cakes to steam in the oven.  It seems to help cook all the way through that way.  /did you try that?  I know with my heavy cakes like fruitcake, carrot cake, irish tea cakes ( whiskey cake) it just seems to make a difference by adding the steaming pan of water.  I cook low and slow.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 8

What recipe are you using ?

sewsugarqueen Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 12:43am
post #4 of 8

will have to look it up! then will post it for you.  Did you want the light colour recipe with pinapple chunks ( sugared), traditional one or a carribean one --- has coconut.  I hate raisins so I skip them or soak them for 24 hrs in whiskey with pinch of ginger and cloves and lemon peel or.  Can use rum if you want.

sewsugarqueen Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 1:19am
post #5 of 8

O.K. checked with one of my ancient books. I only use Farenheigt ( d... I know I didn't spell that right) for

baking.  So for mini fruit cakes 4inchesx2 3/4x1 1/4th--- temp is 275*F and you should bake them 1-1&half hours long.  Wooden toothpick put in centre should come out clean.  Will this help?

recipes:  Jeweled:

oven 300*F

loaf pan 9x5x3"  I line my pans with parchment paper, buttered lightly

2 cups dried apricots   1&1/2 cup pitted dates cut up, 1 cup maraschino cherries--red and green

1 & 1/2 cups chopped nuts  5 ounces candied pineapple red/green or plain  cut in pieces ( about 1 cup)

3/4th cup all purpose flour

3/4th cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt     3 eggs  1&1/2 teaspoon vanilla   ( if you want golden raisins -- throw those in too.

ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 3:05am
post #6 of 8

AMy mum swears by "listening". Put your ear near the cake when you think it is done. If it "sings" it still needs more cooking. Often times very hard to tell with fruit cake. Have just cut into wedding cake made in July that had stopped singing, it was absolutely perfect. :) you will know immediately what is meant by singing when you hear it, so I would suggest you listen for it before you know they're done so you'll know when it stops. Just be careful not to burn your ear!,hope that makes sense.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 8

Quote:

3/4 cup all purpose flour - 3.3 oz
3/4 cup white sugar - 5 oz
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt 
3 eggs - 6 oz

No butter/shortening ? Fruit cake batter is traditionally based on pound cake - equal amounts of butter, flour, sugar, and egg. This batter does not seem to contain enough flour/sugar to produce a strong enough structure to support the weight of the fruit. 

Disregarding the fruit, I would remove an egg. Essentially, it is baked, but it is collapsing - making it "stodgy" ..

Jennifer204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer204 Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 6:42am
post #8 of 8

Hey Guys, thank you so much for all your input & suggestions/recipes.  the recipe I was using was from the Australian Womens Weekly Cookbook, (the red "how to cook absolutely everything" book)  what I would think is a pretty typical xmas cake recipe but with the fruit mix macerating for what should be a month before combining with the rest of the ingredients & baking.  I shall certainly listen for the "singing" next time I have a fruit cake baking though :)

Thanks again guys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%