Tools That I Need For Cake Decorating????

Decorating By jaseyer Updated 26 Nov 2013 , 2:53am by jaseyer

jaseyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaseyer Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 8

AI make cakes but the only decorations that i do are simple borders, rosettes, or sprinkles things like that. But i want to take it up a notch and decorate cakes(or cupcakes) using fondant. What kind of basic tools do i need like cutters or stencils patterns smoothers. I don't do tiered cakes yet, just a simple 3 layer 9-inch cakes. Please help so i can practice on dummy cakes. I also made my own fondant. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

7 replies
knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 8

The tools you need depend on the type of design you want to accomplish.  You can use kitchen utensils as tools, also.  You don't need to go out and buy a bunch of tools you may not use. I should know!  I went out and bought a Wilton kit that had about 6 or so small fondant tools.  It was $30 and I rarely use anything in it.

You can use a paring knife or small sharp knife that can work for cutting as opposed to buying a cutter specifically for fondant.  You can use toothpicks, pizza cutter, etc. I find I use my exacto knife quite a bit.  Like I said, it depends on what specific design you are going for as to what tool you would need.

I also use a pasta roller quite a bit, too. Rolling pin and smoothers are a necessity for rolling out fondant and smoothing it.  I went out and bought so much stuff I thought I would need and found that I never needed most of it! It was just fun to have! You know, just in case someone may want a particular pattern or stencil. Gosh I hope I was somewhat helpful!!  lol

luvmykids2bits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykids2bits Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 4:20am
post #3 of 8

The only tools I find absolutely necessary for fondant are my big silicone rolling pin and my silicone rolling mat.  The other tools are nice, but I find I can make do with other stuff.  For the first while, I would buy one thing every few cakes I made, but now I've got a good stash of basic tools.  What I'd say I use most are:

1.  Big silicone rolling pin

2.  Rolling mat

3.  Pizza cutter

4.  Paring knife

5.  Assorted paint brushes for water, luster dust, etc

6.  "Cookie cutters" - letters, numbers and basic shapes

7.  My air brush gun.  That was a Christmas gift and only after almost a year of working with fondant.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 5:08am
post #4 of 8

AAn exacto knife. You can print off anything and use that as a template and use the exacto to cut it out. That will save you a ton of money when it comes to buying cutters and stuff.

Also if you don't already have one a turntable. I'm not sure if you mean only fondant or tools in general

jaseyer Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 7:07am
post #5 of 8

AThanks guys!!!

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 8

Things I couldn't do without would be, metal cutouts (alphabet, numbers, shapes (especially circles)), mini rolling pin with the ring guides (I use that more often than a large rolling pin), large rolling pin (I like wooden with handles as opposed to the silicone), straws, toothpicks, a couple of paring knives, icing tips (for cutting circles), cake lifter (which is thin metal and helps me cut perfectly straight lines), some plunger cutters (flowers, hearts, stars, I love these) and paintbrushes. Very random order.  I typed as things popped in my head!

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 8

Hi jaseyer,

which part in the philippines are you located at? I'm Filipino as well, from Davao City, but migrated in Winnipeg, Canada :) I just started cake decorating and i love it! welcome to the cake decorating world :) 

I agree with most posters, some tools you can really live without. they're just costly. but for fondant work, i make my own marshmallow fondant and having a Stand Kitchen Aid Mixer is a life saver! saves me half the time in making my fondant.  

also you'll need a silicone rolling pin and silicone mat, fondant smoother, a few cutters (alphabets, flowers, basic shapes),  gel colors (i use wilton brand - never use liquid food coloring), cake boards, exacto knife to cut templates and pizza/pastry cutter. 

good luck and have fun! :) 

sugar

jaseyer Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 2:53am
post #8 of 8

AHi. Thank you for your answer!! I'm from Quezon province

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%