Apply A Stencil Design On A Silver/gold Leafed Cake?

Decorating By rooneygirl Updated 22 Mar 2014 , 5:28pm by becausecakes

rooneygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooneygirl Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I love Faye Cahill's cakes and admire how she stencils on top of her silver leafed cakes (or maybe she is handpiping it).  My question is: is it possible to stencil over a silver/gold leaf cake?  Do you need to spray a glaze over top of it before doing the stencil work? Wondering if any one has any suggestions because silver/gold leaf is too expensive to experiment with.

Thank you!

Maria

"Rooneygirl"

9 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 10

AShow me one. And you can practice with dummies and the silver leaf from craft stores. It's not quite the same, but it's close enough.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 10

i would not stencil over it-- touching it changes it- you would not want to touch it afterwards--no --

spray it? i don't think so --

you could probably pipe over it--but... i mean it's it's own decor--it's the final touch--done imo

you could apply it to separate pieces and apply those to the cake--but i wouldn't -- too ticky --

it's more fragile than fragile--

you could pipe the shape onto the cake then foil it--

f cahill does gorgeous work!

i looked on pinterest and i only saw one stencil and it was luster dusted--so i didn't the one you mean--

wow she's good

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by rooneygirl 

Hi, I love Faye Cahill's cakes and admire how she stencils on top of her silver leafed cakes (or maybe she is handpiping it).  My question is: is it possible to stencil over a silver/gold leaf cake?  Do you need to spray a glaze over top of it before doing the stencil work? Wondering if any one has any suggestions because silver/gold leaf is too expensive to experiment with.

Thank you!

Maria

"Rooneygirl"

Faye Cahill sell the tutorial for this technique,  You can access it on her FB page.

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 10

I have the tutorial and I don't think it's giving away too much to say there's nothing special done before stenciling on top of the silver leaf, which is what all of hers appear to be.

Now what really puzzles me is how Hey There, Cupcake! has been able to do cutouts of what appears to be gold foil (see below). I recognize the fishscale pattern as being from a craft paper punch.  What I can't figure out is how she did it when gold leaf is so sensitive to touch and sticks to everything...ideas?

EDIT: The cake artist actually calls this her "gold leaf on wafer paper technique" (http://cakesdecor.com/cakes/98094) so the question is probably really how she adheres the gold leaf to the paper. Do you guys think a very light brushing with water would work? I haven't ever worked with wafer paper yet, so I don't know how easily it becomes misshapen when exposed to water...

rooneygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooneygirl Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 12:01am
post #6 of 10

JWinslow I just bought it - thanks - I missed it before.

6bittersweets - jessica harris covers silver leave craft punch out appliques in her new class on craftsy - in a nutshell she applies the silver leaf to frosting paper then cuts it out with craft punchers and applies it to the cake. I love Hello Cupcake's work too!

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 12:12am
post #7 of 10

Thanks!  Good thing I bought that class last week and just hadn't gotten to watch it yet lol.  Can't wait to learn.  I actually already have the punches, too.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 12:59am
post #8 of 10

Isn't that cake just Gorgeous!!

prats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prats Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 10

Hi, 

Is the fish scale punch from the martha stewart line??? I have been looking for it for a while on amazon but have not been able to locate it yet! Thanks in advance!

becausecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becausecakes Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 10

AI have a question sort of relating to this. I am OBSESSED with Hey there, Cupcake's designs. I want to do a cake inspired by her and am wondering if I can apply gold leaf to fondant over a stencil? When I peel the stencil away do you think part of the gold leaf would peel off with it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%