Mini Xmas Cake Packaging

Decorating By Jennifer204 Updated 23 Nov 2013 , 10:45pm by Jennifer204

Jennifer204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer204 Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Guys...just looking at making & selling mini xmas cakes (for people to give as gifts etc.),..I haven;t done this before as fairly new in business, but was just wondering re the best way to package xmas fruit cakes, covered with marzipan & fondant, as I was intending to use either small individual cellophane boxes or wrap with cellophane & ribbon.  I live in Sydney, Australia & as fairly warm this time of year (& can be humid too) won't the fondant become sticky & embellishments become droopy/move if cake is packaged this way?  How does/would everyone else go about this please?  Any suggestions would be most welcome.  Thanks guys. 

2 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 1:41am
post #2 of 3

You may want to skip putting the fondant on it and just go with the marzipan. I don't really know a lot about it, but my dad is from Germany and they eat it a lot! haha! I think it would probably look just as pretty and you wouldn't have to worry it will get sticky. 

Are you planning on shipping your cakes? If you're not, I don't think you have to worry about wrapping in cellophane. 

You could just put it on a cake board and put it in a cake box with or without a window and tie it up with some baker's twine. It would look really nice! 

I found a supply place in Australia for you. Not sure how these prices compare with places near you but I though the boxes that are called Lunch Box were kind of neat!

http://www.metropak.com.au/list_products.php?m=22

Jennifer204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer204 Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 3

Hi Mfeagan, thanks for your reply & the link for the packaging place...will definitely look at this supplier thanks for the info!  I will definitely need the fondant covering for the type of decorations that I am doing to work.  Hopefully if I use individual boxes with the see thru top or something that would be a better way of storing them for display etc.,  (not shipping any) just for the presentation purposes, so they look really nice. Just wondered what everyone  does in this situation, so the mini cakes look really nicely presented, but the cakes keep fresh & without the worry of the fondant decorations softening  :)  Thanks again for your suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%