Chocolate Icing Mishap...

Decorating By imokia03 Updated 19 Nov 2013 , 6:05pm by theicingartist

imokia03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imokia03 Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 2:34am
post #1 of 5

I have made Chocolate icing, just used a recipe off the back of the Hershey's Coca box. The icing was very very thin, I could not decorate anything with it really. Does someone have a good recipe for a homemade chocolate icing that has the consistency of buttercream icing?

Thank you

4 replies
theicingartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theicingartist Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 2:51am
post #2 of 5

6 ounces good semisweet chocolate
1 cup of butter, at room temperature
1 extra-large egg yolk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar 
4 tbs coca powder
2 tablespoons brewed coffee

beat you butter until smooth, then beat in egg and vanilla.  slowly add in your icing sugar and coca powder.   Then beat in your melted chocolate and coffee.

if you set in fridge over night it will harden up more.  so mix to desired consistency then ice cake.  Or leave a little thin if refrigerating it.

I hope this was helpful!

imokia03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imokia03 Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 3:21am
post #3 of 5

"theicingartist" does the coffee give the icing a coffee taste? may be a dumb question, but we are not coffee drinkers and cant stand the smell either lol. So just curious

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 6:19am
post #4 of 5

..... does the coffee give the icing a coffee taste?......

From someone who HATES! the taste of coffee, (but loves the smell :)   I know for a fact that noone will ever know you used coffee in the recipe.   But........it will bring out the taste of the chocolate-making it more intense.  Do give it a try.  If you still don't want to try it, you can sub water or milk instead.

theicingartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theicingartist Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 5

The coffee compliments the taste of the chocolate.  You cant taste the coffee at all it just gives it a really nice flavor.  I really enjoy this recipe and so does everyone else who gets to try it.  I also use very good chocolate when baking.  I would recommend using a good chocolate such as lindor, compared to used a grocery store brand.  Let me know if you end up using it, and how you like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%