Help!!!why Does This Keep Happening To Me?!

Decorating By vonscakes87 Updated 15 Nov 2013 , 2:50am by Norasmom

vonscakes87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonscakes87 Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 2:16am
post #1 of 4

Amy cakes(scratch)end up flowing over and sinking in the middle..i tried the recipe on the back of the hersheys powder container,1st time was great,2nd and 3rd time complete disaster.ive just made a classic white layer cake and it looked kinda curdled before I even poured it into pan,baking now and made extra cupcakes and I can see it is coming to the edge of the pan and looks like it will do the same,,spill over and probably sink...this recipe only uses baking powder,i know its still good because I tested it...please help as to what I am possibly doing wrong..oh and I added 6oz melted white chocolate at the end.:-(....the cake is due Saturday and I still have two other cakes I am making from scratch(chocolate and red velvet) to go with this order..don't want to be screwing this up all night.please help..anyone?:-(

3 replies
vonscakes87 Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 2:22am
post #2 of 4

Athis is the recipe I used from Baking Illustrated..editors of Cooks Illustrated..so they go thru the many ways they tried and whyt this came out great for them...

2 1/4 cup(9oz) cake flour 1C milk,room temp 6 large egg whites,room temp 2tsp almond extract 1tsp vanilla 1 3/4 cup sugar 4tsp baking powder 1tsp salt 12Tbl unsalted butter

while I sit here typing the batter smells eggy to me and when I checked on it again,its browing around the edges and still looks undone in the center and has only been in for 30min roughly at 350degrees

vonscakes87 Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 2:28am
post #3 of 4

Ai also put some water into the empty space of the cupcake pan to help promote even baking since i have no bake even strips...i tasted the cupcake..hot i might add...i guess it doesn't taste eggy like i thought i was smelling...maybe the texture will change some once fully cooled instead of literally hot out the oven..i don't mind that the top of the cake is not domed makes things easier for me in not having to cut excess off...ugh...SO FRUSTRATED!!!LOL:cry:

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 2:50am
post #4 of 4

You need to fill the pan with less batter, 1/2 full at most.

Bake at 325 for a longer period of time

Also, use an inverted metal flower nail to evenly heat the batter, and bake-even strips around the pan.  (Or cut towels, dampen them, and pin them around the pan.)

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%