Help With Fondant, Quick!

Decorating By jguilbeau Updated 24 Jan 2007 , 9:21pm by angelcakesmom

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying to model a chicken out of fondant, but the fondant will not stick together. I am trying to start with a ball, and can't even get the ball to stick togethe. It is leaving seams that seperate (hope this makes sense). Do I add more sugar or more water?

7 replies
kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 8

maybe try microwaving it 5-10 secs and adding crisco to your hands to make it workable.

HTH

The board seems to be slow or something???

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 8

Sounds like there is something wrong with the fondant. You can try just moistening your hands to knead in a tiny bit of water, or try using shortening to knead it together.

the fondant should be a smooth dough. Once you have that, the fondant will stick together with a brush of water or even corn syrup.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 8

What type of fondant are you using?

jguilbeau Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

What type of fondant are you using?

Since I was modeling, and it won't be eaten I am using Wilton Ready to Use, Rolled Fondant.

I have tried adding water, putting in microwave for 5 sec, and adding Shortening to my hands. It is getting better but not completely. i am afraid of adding too much water.

jguilbeau Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 8

Okay fondant experts, I tried all the above. Still seperating (like a seam that won't stick) when I form a ball. icon_cry.gif Help!!!

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 8

I would try to add some crisco to your hands and knead the fondant. This should make it more pliable!!

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 8

I always spray my work surface w/ cooking spray and knead my fondant onto that. I don't know if it will help, but good luck! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%