Got A 350 People Wedding Cake Order, Please Help Me With Advices!!!

Decorating By chilu4ever Updated 20 Nov 2013 , 1:23am by chilu4ever

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 8:41pm
post #31 of 43

AI am just curious. When is the wedding

Psyched baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Psyched baker Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 2:16am
post #32 of 43

A

Original message sent by morganchampagne

I am just curious. When is the wedding

I think she said it was in Jan. I agree that the cascading cakes could be a good idea. I would promote learning to make your own fondant and taking time to practice with it. I wouldn't promise fondant but if you do get it figured out, you can go with it. I think I would consider all angles including what would happen to the relationship you have with her if something went wrong and do you want to risk it? Create a very safe design for yourself if you want her to be happy and the relationship to be preserved.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 2:58am
post #33 of 43

A dummy cake would work great actually.  You could decorate that and then do undecorated tiers for cutting.  You could even do it as sheet cakes, just double layer and torted like you would do for regular cakes.  Then you could do whipped cream icing and everything without the issues too.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 3:45am
post #34 of 43

I would say dont do it...but if you decide youre going to do it...dummy cakes. to try and dowel and transport a cake of this size with your lack of experience. its really a disaster in the making. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 1:10pm
post #35 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i think this is a viable silhouette for a big whopping cake--has to be decorated proportionally of course as does any cake

if you go with a 16x12x8 with eight 6" cakes on the bottom because you said you have some wiggle room on the servings--the biggest hurdle is fondanting the 16 but it's not that big a deal once you get the hang of using fondant

but for other icing, buttercream or the whipped cream (but you gotta keep that refrigerated?) --shoot go for it --for fondant it's a big learning curve, big pia for sure

and you would  have room to set another cake in the midst of the 6" circular arrangement --or set a foam dummy in there to help hold things up--

~~~or~~~

do four 6" cakes, two 16's a 12 and an 8--cut the 6's in half vertically and slap them around the bottom of the 16 as pictured--set the other 16, the 12 & 8 on top of that--you're great--i think you'd be golden to add a 5" on top  but...fondanting something that big is quite a challenge--

i've never seen your work--if it looks nice & tight & pro -- go for it

if it's 'loving hands at home' quality you might want to advise the bride and let her decide

i think if there's going to be a big crowd like that the reception needs a cake that measures up visually whether the cakes are spread all over the table or it's a dummy cake

go for it but keep in mind your personal limitations and lack of experience discuss them with the bride--most other tier cakes will be a breeze after this one :-D

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 1:52pm
post #36 of 43

SInce it sounds like this is going to happen - I would second what others have said...

1) This is a BIG cake.  Make sure you research the best way to stack it.  I would use SPS (look it up on CC - there is a huge thread about it) - it is very sturdy and fairly foolproof and inexpensive.

2)  Figure out where you are going to store this beast until delivery time, ideally it will be kept in a chiller, although  in Jan, in some parts of MX you may be able to get away with keeping the room extra cold until delivery.

3) Figure out how you will delivery this cake - you'll need a large vehicle with lots of flat space in the interior of the car (like a van).

4) I would make the cake in your normal frosting unless you have time and money to make or purchase fondant before hand and can get in some practice cakes. Fondant will add time to your decorating AND if you buy it, will significantly add to the overall cost of the cakes. However, if you are able to practice between now and January and get the hang of it, go for it.  (just don't put fondant over your whipped cream frosting - it wont work)

5) Give yourself plenty of time to make this cake.  Bake a week out and wrap & freeze the cakes.  Make the buttercreams & fillings days ahead of time.  Plan on having someone else feed you and the family. :)

Good luck!

chilu4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilu4ever Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 3:32am
post #37 of 43

i haven't been able to check the thread in a couple days and i was surprised with all those posts.

I am really thanked with k8memphis because i was hoping to get some advices like that.

I got a lot of don'ts but i think don't explain myself better, one even suggest i don't knew how to bake  a bigger bread or i won´t be here asking basic help.

I was hoping tips, and hints to get a better cake.

I´ve made as i said cakes to sell before, thanks for the one who got the time to check currency for my pricing, i am on a good price in pesos and i do get profit and a real good one i am not going to learn by giving it away i sell the kg in $100 and supplies and labor just take $ 40.

I would like to say that i appreciatte the comments on the door size and the fridge issue, i actually got that solved with a 3 mts door and a 4 doors bakery size fridge.

I do have a cargo van (not the ones for passengers) and 2 windstar kind of vans so transport doen't became an issue.

I will like to really thanks the good vibes from some comments and as i said before i would be posting images to show the progress and to expect the comments.

I evaluate the skills i have and have no unreal expectation on what i can provide to my costumer.

i wold never get to make a wedding cake to ruin or destroy anyones event on mind  as someone suggested it might happen

i just asked some advice on fillings and frostings on a fondant cake. since i know you can't refrigerate and that it tends to get "wet " with moist frostings.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 4:04am
post #38 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilu4ever 

i haven't been able to check the thread in a couple days and i was surprised with all those posts.

I am really thanked with k8memphis because i was hoping to get some advices like that.

I got a lot of don'ts but i think don't explain myself better, one even suggest i don't knew how to bake  a bigger bread or i won´t be here asking basic help.

I was hoping tips, and hints to get a better cake.

I´ve made as i said cakes to sell before, thanks for the one who got the time to check currency for my pricing, i am on a good price in pesos and i do get profit and a real good one i am not going to learn by giving it away i sell the kg in $100 and supplies and labor just take $ 40.

I would like to say that i appreciatte the comments on the door size and the fridge issue, i actually got that solved with a 3 mts door and a 4 doors bakery size fridge.

I do have a cargo van (not the ones for passengers) and 2 windstar kind of vans so transport doen't became an issue.

I will like to really thanks the good vibes from some comments and as i said before i would be posting images to show the progress and to expect the comments.

I evaluate the skills i have and have no unreal expectation on what i can provide to my costumer.

i wold never get to make a wedding cake to ruin or destroy anyones event on mind  as someone suggested it might happen

i just asked some advice on fillings and frostings on a fondant cake. since i know you can't refrigerate and that it tends to get "wet " with moist frostings.

With all due respect you did NOT just ask for advice on fillings and frostings.  In the course of your posts you said you had made fondant figures but had never covered a cake with it before nor had you ever done tiers.  Add the fact that it was for a wedding with 350 people and red flags pop up all over the place.  It sounded like a disaster in the making!

We get a lot of 'my friend wants me to bake her wedding cake and i've only done sheet cakes what do I do?' types of posts on here and it's not fair to that person to say everything is going to be great when they don't even consider the pitfalls of doing a project like that.  All I took from your posts was that you had no idea how to do a tiered wedding cake covered in fondant but you were going to make one for 350 people!   The fillings and the frostings took a back seat to that.  If you know what you're doing and you feel confident in your ability to pull it off, then good for you!  It's a major undertaking that WILL take twice as long as  you think it will.  I stand by that.  So plan accordingly.  And good luck! 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 4:28am
post #39 of 43

It's doable, but difficult.  Most people on here are just wanting to make sure you will be okay and are well prepared for the challenge ahead.  I did a 3-tier cake (14, 12, 10) with buttercream awhile ago and I thank God for SPS and plywood. :-D

I will not do a large cake again, it's not my thing.  I love smaller, easier cakes, but I had to do the big cake to figure out whether or not I could do it…and I did!!

Now I am sticking to smaller cakes, or big ones that are not tiered.

So good luck and just keep on learning.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 5:36am
post #40 of 43

A

Original message sent by carmijok

With all due respect you did NOT just ask for advice on fillings and frostings.  In the course of your posts you said you had made fondant figures but had never covered a cake with it before nor had you ever done tiers.  Add the fact that it was for a wedding with 350 people and red flags pop up all over the place.  It sounded like a disaster in the making!

We get a lot of [I]'my friend wants me to bake her wedding cake and i've only done sheet cakes what do I do?'[/I] types of posts on here and it's not fair to that person to say everything is going to be great when they don't even consider the pitfalls of doing a project like that.  All I took from your posts was that you had no idea how to do a tiered wedding cake covered in fondant but you were going to make one for 350 people!   The fillings and the frostings took a back seat to that.  If you know what you're doing and you feel confident in your ability to pull it off, then good for you!  It's a major undertaking that WILL take twice as long as  you think it will.  I stand by that.  So plan accordingly.  And good luck! 

I have nothing to add to this, but want to emphasize that I too was under the impression that you had no idea about what to do, at all, based on the information you gave us. Good luck with this, and please let us know how it goes, and show off your cake when you're all done! :-)

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 1:21pm
post #41 of 43

Please don't take offense to what the other posters are saying about not doing this cake. Many have done this for a very long time and do it for a living. They know what kind of challenge a 350 person cake is. They just don't want to see you fail. I'm sure most, if not all of us have had cake disasters and know what it feels like. I have been doing this for years and wouldn't do it myself. I'm too scared! 150-200 servings tops. Any more than that, I won't take on....I know what my nerves can handle. 

Good luck with your endeavor and please post pics if you are stuck at any certain point and need help! Be sure to post a completed cake picture! :)

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 3:34pm
post #42 of 43

AI refrigerate all my cakes - including the cakes covered with fondant. So you can use any filling/icing you want. I use whipped white chocolate ganache under fondant. It holds up well to the weight of fondant and makes redos quick as it doesn't get messed up if you have to take the fondant off.

Covering a large cake with fondant is tricky. You may want to consider just using buttercream icing. That is what I would do because I tend to tear large pieces of fondant.

chilu4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilu4ever Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 1:23am
post #43 of 43

Thanks, you are the second advice en getting the cake onto the fridge so i am now going to chill it woth no worries.

Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%