Pricing Question

Lounge By nanasmom Updated 19 Nov 2013 , 6:32pm by Sweet Pea

nanasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasmom Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 5

I am "new" to th cake decorating business and I had my first real order yesterday (ie. not from firends or family.)  I am curious how much one would charge for a cake like this.  It was a 9 inch with 4 one inch ombre layers.  I feel like I sold myself short.

4 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 5

AIts so hard to say because pricing is something you have to work out for yourself. Its all based on your costs.

if you do a search on here you'll find a ton of pricing threads with some really really good information that will help you determine if you sold yourself short

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 5

i think your cake is lovely and your workmanship is very good--

all that to say as to pricing-- this not a cake design that i would upcharge for anything--it would be just straight up normal pricing--per serving pricing 32 servings times $X.XX--unless you use pounds or euros ;)

well i would want to charge for ombre layers though--don't know if i would but that'd be all--probably would not though--maybe if it was super elaborate--

if you look around on other people's websites you will get a wide range of prices--probably anywhere from $25 (faint) to $180 +

so my recommendation is that you aim high ;)

best to you

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 5

ACheck out the Pricing Formula link in my signature below.

Sweet Pea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet Pea Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 5

I would definitely price the cake on a per serving basis! Any extra work involved can also add to the price, like the customized plaque. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%