Help Broken Fruit Cake

Decorating By josiejoe Updated 12 Nov 2013 , 5:50pm by LizzieAylett

josiejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josiejoe Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 10:26am
post #1 of 5

AI have a wedding next week and I baked a 12 square fruit 3 month ago and have been feeding it since. I went to give it it's last feed and broke it :(((((. One corner has totally broken away almost to halfway across the cake. Is there anything I can do? It's a clean break so has slotted back together but obviously it weekend the cake. I have 3 sponge tiers to go ontop. I am totally gutted and any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you x

4 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 5

Are you covering your cakes with anything or are fruit cakes served naked? If you're covering it, you could make a new corner with marzipan or something similar. 

I'm guessing you're not in America...we don't usually serve fruit cakes for weddings. 

josiejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josiejoe Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 5

AI'm in the UK. The cake will be covered in marzipan and then rolled out fondant. The cake is broken in half almost it's not just a small piece that has broken off :(

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 5

There was another thread along these lines but I'm not sure what it was called.....try doing a search in the top right hand box.

I think if you are using marzipan and then rolled sugarpaste (fondant) it should be enough to keep it together.  I have never repaired a fruit cake....others on here have, so hopefully they will be along soon.

If you do repair it you may need to make a mark on the icing directly on top of the break so you can avoid placing dowels just there.

Good luck :-D

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 5

It may help to "glue" it together with melted apricot jam.  As long as the rest of your tiers are properly supported and you have a really sturdy base, I personally don't think there would be a problem. 

The weight of the top tiers should not be resting on the bottom one but one the base, so your main concern is lateral shifts damaging you icing finish.  Perhaps you could try gluing the cake to the base with some royal icing too, just to make sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%