How Fast Does Gumpaste Dry?

Decorating By jdnewbie Updated 14 Jul 2018 , 6:45pm by daj22602

jdnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdnewbie Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 13

Hi! Newbie here. Just want to ask about gumpaste and how fast it dries? It's my first time to make and use gumpaste and I'm worried if it will dry even before I complete the design. I'm thinking of cutting the decoration (1-inch thickness) from gumpaste utilizing tylose. Can't use commercial plungers because it's a sort of unique design, so I'm planning to sketch the pattern then cut it manually. I'm worried that the gumpaste will dry before I completed the design.

Thanks in advance for your help! :D

12 replies
blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 1:49am
post #2 of 13

Hi, Newbie here too...

If you are leaving it an inch thick, it will take a very long time to dry.  I can leave a 1" wad, or ball, of gumpaste uncovered for a week or more, then pick it up, mash it, knead it, and with a little Crisco on my fingers, proceed to use it all over again.  It will return to a usable consistency.  But then I make my own gumpaste, usually by adding Tylose to all my leftover marshmallow fondant  If you have the time, try leaving a piece out and see what yours does.  Hope this helps at least a little bit.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 2:30am
post #3 of 13

ATylose added to marshmallow fondant is not gumpaste. If you add tylose to fondant you'll get a paste that dries hard, but it isn't gumpaste and it doesn't act the same way. If you make real gumpaste and leave it out for a week it will be hard as a rock.

If you're rolling out a sheet of gumpaste to cut a large shape out of it, just cover the section you're not working on with a piece of plastic wrap or something like that to keep the air off of it. I make my own gumpaste and it dries hard overnight.

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 2:46am
post #4 of 13

AI made a large gum paste bow this morning. Propped it with cling film, had the heating on so fairly moist atmosphere. By to this afternoon it was hard as a rock and I put it on the cake x x x

jdnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdnewbie Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 6:24am
post #5 of 13

Thanks everyone for your responses! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by blwilley 

Hi, Newbie here too...

If you are leaving it an inch thick, it will take a very long time to dry.  I can leave a 1" wad, or ball, of gumpaste uncovered for a week or more, then pick it up, mash it, knead it, and with a little Crisco on my fingers, proceed to use it all over again.  It will return to a usable consistency.  But then I make my own gumpaste, usually by adding Tylose to all my leftover marshmallow fondant  If you have the time, try leaving a piece out and see what yours does.  Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Oh, that might be a good idea. How do you add tylose to leftover fondant? Do I need to mix it with other liquid or something or just knead it in? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Tylose added to marshmallow fondant is not gumpaste. If you add tylose to fondant you'll get a paste that dries hard, but it isn't gumpaste and it doesn't act the same way. If you make real gumpaste and leave it out for a week it will be hard as a rock.

If you're rolling out a sheet of gumpaste to cut a large shape out of it, just cover the section you're not working on with a piece of plastic wrap or something like that to keep the air off of it. I make my own gumpaste and it dries hard overnight.

Oh, thanks for clarifying about tylose and gumpaste. In case I add tylose to fondant, will my topping still stand? I'm afraid I can't get the gum-something product from Wilton locally. And thanks for the tip in working with gumpaste. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by CakeChemistry 

I made a large gum paste bow this morning. Propped it with cling film, had the heating on so fairly moist atmosphere. By to this afternoon it was hard as a rock and I put it on the cake x x x

Oh, I see. I guess I'll finish the design before it completely dries. :D

blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 13
Hi again.  When I add Tylose to MMF(marshmallow fondant), I add 1 Tbsp. per 1 1/2 lbs.  Full recipe, using 2 lb. bag of sugar, would need 2 Tbsp.  Smaller batch, less Tylose, etc...  Just knead it in, & let rest tightly wrapped for about 8 hours, re-knead using Crisco on your fingers.  I usually am adding it to leftover fondant, so am working with smaller quantities.This does take overnight to dry enough to put on the cake, but then it is also edible, which the little ones love.  The 'rock hard' gumpaste has it's advantages, but I prefer mine for the people I am preparing my cakes for.  They eat everything I make, including all my figures, bows, people, monkeys, etc...  Even using the recipe below, it is not 'rock hard'.  Hope this clarifies my suggestion some.
When I make my own gumpaste, this is the recipe I use, also one here for gum glue.  Hope you are having as much fun as I am playing with all this stuff!  Check out my new mold recipe on this site, also on ***********.com, & play with it too.  And both my fondant & gumpaste require no refrigeration for up to 2-3 months, but of course fondant is best used when fresher.  Gumpaste just goes on & on.  Knead it weekly for best results., adding color as needed for your projects.

**Gum Paste**

1 heaping Tbsp. glucose/corn syrup
3 Tbsp. warm water
1 Tbsp. Gum-Tex/Tylose Powder
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 cup sifted powdered sugar (save for later)
   Paste food color optional

Place 3 cups powdered sugar in a large bowl.  Stir in gum/Tylose powder.  Form a well in the center & set aside.

Blend water & glucose in a cup, heat in microwave for about 30 seconds, till dissolved & clear.
Pour this mixture into the well(sugar), stir until well blended & very soft.
Seal in a plastic bag, air removed, & let sit for at least 8 hours at room temp.

Knead the remaining cup of sifted sugar into the paste.  Gum paste will whiten & soften.  Wearing latex gloves, you can portion & add any color now if you want.  If it is all to be one color, add color to water in step 1.

For gum glue:
2 tsp. gum powder
2 ozs. water.
Mix together....Thats All Folks!

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 13

AAdding tylose or the Wilton version to fondant makes what people refer to as a quick gumpaste, which will dry hard but still be softer than real gumpaste that has tylose in it. The advantage is that it's soft and has a longer working time, but the disadvantage is that it will absorb moisture from the air more readily and soften up at inconvenient times. You can buy tylose online and it isn't that expensive if you want to make real gumpaste that will keep its shape and not absorb moisture as much. I've had quick gumpaste soften up and lose its shape in the fridge because it was absorbing the humid air, and real gumpaste isn't as likely to do that. I also had a friend call me in a panic asking if there was anything she could do to save th quick gumpaste flowers she had made that had just been ruined when a rainstorm came through. Nope...they had absorbed moisture from the air and were done.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 13

AI don't even know why people call it 'quick' GP - it's NOT GP at all - it's modeling paste.

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 13

A

Original message sent by blwilley

[TR] [TD]

**Gum Paste**

1 heaping Tbsp. glucose/corn syrup 3 Tbsp. warm water 1 Tbsp. Gum-Tex/Tylose Powder 3 cups sifted powdered sugar 1 cup sifted powdered sugar (save for later)    Paste food color optional  

[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] [TR] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [/TR] [/TD] [/TR]

This isn't a gumpaste recipe so much as a modified pastillage without as many drying agents. I can see how it would be a lot softer, especially if you're using the gumtex and not tylose, but if it stays that soft for so long it probably would be more susceptible to the humidity issue too.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 13

I have that gum paste article bookmarked.  It's a keeper! 

I do make my own butI have also used this gum paste which is really smooth, allows for excellent working time, and dried nice and hard.  I highly recommend it if you ever decide not to make it.  http://www.etsy.com/listing/98682357/gumpaste-sugar-dough-for-cake-decorating

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

I don't even know why people call it 'quick' GP - it's NOT GP at all - it's modeling paste.

Yeah, it's  basically a hard-drying fondant. I refer to quick gumpste just to not have to explain it every time, but if you really don't want your flowers to melt in the fridge or in a humid climate you shouldn't use it exclusively for delicate flowers. For thick things that are being molded it's fine.

daj22602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daj22602 Posted 14 Jul 2018 , 6:45pm
post #13 of 13

Hope you get this post. I wanted to thank you for the recipe. Gonna go try this in 15 minutes, after I finish this coffee. Again, thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%