Peeling Fondant Off Of A Cake Before Serving And Not Disturbing The Icing?

Decorating By Declansmama Updated 28 Oct 2013 , 3:43am by Sweety Grane

Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Declansmama Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 22

AI have an opportunity to make cakes for a golf course this next spring/summer. The lady running the wedding planning said they peel off the fondant before serving because it dulls their knifes. She said a "goog" cake doesn't lose its icing after being peeled. My cakes always stick to the icing. I thought that's what avoids air bubbles. So, I was wondering if anyone knows about this and how to keep the icing on. Mg only thoughts are... maybe they use a ganache underthe fondant?

21 replies
Declansmama Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 22

A"Good" & my

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 22

Fondant is going to peel off butter cream.   That's why I completely ice my cakes when covered in fondant in case the person does peel it off...they still have a butter cream cake underneath.  Fondant does not dull knifes either.  She probably doesn't know what kind of knife she should be using.  She's coo-coo.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 22

The woman is a NUT......"dulls the knives"??????   How stupid can one person be????

If you peel off the fondant, [some of]  the icing comes off, so...............don't peel off the fondant.  Serve it and let the eater decide. 

I just tell people to eat the piece of cake from the bottom to the top and try the fondant if they want to. 

I do put on a full layer of BC and I tell people to cut the cakes with a non-serrated, long knife.  I get no complaints. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:10am
post #5 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

......... She's coo-coo.

ddaigle: straight to the point Sarge!

Declansmama: your cakes are delightful.  Maybe the golf nut is going to take off or mess with your beautiful creations in other ways as well.  How did she lose her previous Cake Decorating persons?

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:43am
post #6 of 22

AThat is ridiculous! If someone told me they planned to peel the fondant off every single cake before serving I would be outraged. If you don't want to cut/serve fondant, restrict the cakes to buttercream. If the brides want fondant, serve them fondant!!!! If the person in "charge" is this clueless about "good" cakes, this sounds like a nightmare in the making. Beware!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 2:27am
post #7 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Declansmama 

I have an opportunity to make cakes for a golf course this next spring/summer. The lady running the wedding planning said they peel off the fondant before serving because it dulls their knifes. She said a "goog" cake doesn't lose its icing after being peeled. My cakes always stick to the icing. I thought that's what avoids air bubbles. So, I was wondering if anyone knows about this and how to keep the icing on. Mg only thoughts are... maybe they use a ganache underthe fondant?

I use ganache under my fondant and there's no way you could just peel the fondant off and leave the ganache intact. It's all stuck together with water.

Tell her that people can peel the fondant off their own piece if they would like. Can she show you a picture of a 'good' cake having its fondant peeled off? I can't imagine how that would work.

Even the word 'peel' is an odd one to use. You could cut the fondant off you slice of cake, or eat the cake out from under it, but it's stuck to the icing underneath. There's no 'peeling' happening.

The only time I've been able to peel fondant off cake is when it's a super thick layer stuck straight to a fruit cake.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 4:47am
post #8 of 22

AI can only imagine she's confusing fondant with rock hard royal icing, which I can guess may dull a knife, but soft fondant? She's out of her mind.

Declansmama Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 11:23am
post #9 of 22

AThanks everyone! I thought it was strange but maybe I was doing something different then everyone else... she has been in wedding planning 20years but is new to the golf course. The golf course is just starting up their weddings and is lining up the decorators. I would be doing a lot of cupcake towers because she said 80% is going with cupcakes this year. This would be for next year. She wanted someone local. I just didn't want them serving my cakes and the icing all coming off and them tell the bride it was a cheaply made cake because it is expensive food cost and LOTS of hours! Thanks again

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 22

I went to a wedding once and the cake cutter peeled off everyone's fondant and was putting it in a pile.   I told her to leave mine one...I thought it was odd that she was doing that and and not letting the guest do it if they chose to.  Granted, most people (here) don't like it, but her pile of fondant looked ridiculous...especially at a wedding.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 1:18pm
post #11 of 22

if they are using plastic forks--those potentially could pop a tong i guess maybe

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 2:48pm
post #12 of 22

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want somebody messing with my piece of cake.  Peel your own fondant off if you don't want it, but just cut and serve the cake -don't mess with it!  I can make my own decisions as what to eat - lol 

And Declansimama, I'm sure you already know that a good cake has nothing to do with being able to peel off fondant.

Coo coo is right!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 11:15pm
post #13 of 22

If I paid for rolled fondant, and the cake cutter/server produced a "peeled" serving to my guests, I would be pretty miffed !! She's throwing my money into the bin ...

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 11:30pm
post #14 of 22

If fondant dulls their knives, how do they cut meat?  Or do they just "peel it apart?"  What a nut.  The wonders never cease!  

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 12:18am
post #15 of 22

Lol - include a 'serving knife' with the cake order.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 2:09am
post #16 of 22

That used to be pretty common - that was back when most people agreed that fondant doesn't taste good and can't possibly compliment the delicious cake underneath. The competitive wedding cake industry has improved fondant as a tool to use for leverage to get business. For all the touting of the wedding cake industry like:

We make ours from scratch

Add chocolate

It tastes like tootsie rolls (cause we all a tootsie roll layer on our cake, don't we?)

Use marshmallows

Use highly flavored fondant

....most people still agree it's not very good. Rare is the person who would add it to cake, just because they love it - a least not people who've grown up on a typical American diet.

But I agree, it should be left on the cake.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 10:50am
post #17 of 22

That is definitely weird, does the bride know that she is going to do that?  I personally don't like fondant, but have customers who order it because they specifically do and I would imagine that if someone peeled all the fondant off the bride would not be happy.  Maybe a polite conversation with your bride can stop this from happening.  Seriously what knives is she using that blunt so easily.

Declansmama Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 2:34pm
post #18 of 22

ALOL!!!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 22

What is the point of ordering a fondant covered cake then? Personally I'd like my piece to be on my plate as it's supposed to be leaving me with the decision of to eat or not to eat. Bizarre.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 3:50pm
post #20 of 22

disney corporation was on tv once about their destination weddings and it showed their employee peeling the fondant off into the large trash can serving by serving.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 5:29pm
post #21 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Declansmama 

I have an opportunity to make cakes for a golf course this next spring/summer. The lady running the wedding planning said they peel off the fondant before serving because it dulls their knifes. She said a "goog" cake doesn't lose its icing after being peeled.

That is the biggest pile of crapola I've ever heard. She obviously doesn't know what she's talking about.

Sweety Grane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweety Grane Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:43am
post #22 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by auzzi 

If I paid for rolled fondant, and the cake cutter/server produced a "peeled" serving to my guests, I would be pretty miffed !! She's throwing my money into the bin ...

hahaha. you're right! what a waste..  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%