Need Lab Tests For Ganache

Business By cakecrzy Updated 7 Mar 2014 , 2:16am by Singerssoul

cakecrzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrzy Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 7

I am in San Diego, California and need to have my 2 ganache recipes tested for pH 4.6 or less and aW 0.85 or less in order to have my cottage food permit issued. They are willing to accept any lab that has been done. Does anyone have lab results for a basic 2:1 ganache and 3:1 white chocolate that they might be willing to share? Figured it is a basic recipe so not much of a secret recipe  :)


I am trying to find someone in San Diego who might want to go in on the $200 cost to get both tested if I cannot locate such lab results.


Thanks for your help!

6 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 12:34am
post #2 of 7

Wow, I did not know that you professionals would have to have lab tests done just for ganache!! Boy am I ever glad that I only do cakes as a hobby!!! Does anyone know if every state makes you have this done? Sounds very expensive!!!

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 12:44am
post #3 of 7

AI need to have mine tested, too. I'm in MA though. The Texas Cottage law has a website with a ganache recipe that has been tested.

cakecrzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrzy Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 1:52am
post #4 of 7

Yes I have seen the Texas ones..but I actually just like basic ganache 2:1 and 3:1 and the Texas one has additional ingredients added....I am working on trying to find someone...on a few Cottage Food boards for California and San Diego...if I don't find then I will just give in and get tested as I want to get started. However, I will then have them so if anyone else wants them. :) Still hoping someone reads and comes through before I spend the $200 to get tested though. 8O

sweetalexjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetalexjane Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 5:22am
post #5 of 7

Are you able to shop around for different labs?  In my opinion $200 is very pricey--as in twice as much, for those four tests (pH and aW for both white and dark chocolate ganache).  


Also, you only need to get the water activity test for each ganache to determine if it is NPH, not the pH. This should save you some money as well.   


Just out of curiosity...does your county allow you to use ganache as a filling?  My county only allows ganache on the outside of the cake/under fondant, not as a filling :0(

cakecrzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrzy Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 5:33am
post #6 of 7

AThat is some great info thanks! I will just test the aW. I actually found another SD local who got lab results for chocolate ganache that was willing to share! Now i just need to test the white and since i only need the one test it just got a whole lot cheaper! They did not specify if i could only use as crumb vs filling. san diego seem very helpful and understanding with trying to find the best shelf stable products. I spent forever coming up with my shelf stable buttercream and it looks like its going to pass! They gave me a few label revisions and said i cant use real rum even if baking off the alcohol and need tests for ganache...otherwise said i should have the green light once those items in line!:

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 2:16am
post #7 of 7

Would you mind sharing the chocolate one ph and aw?  The Texas one looks like the PH is too high since it must be under 4.6 and under .85.  I am guessing that the Texas law allows one or the other.

Quote by @%username% on %date%