Attaching Fondant Leaves To A Fondant Cake

Decorating By Kdeabs Updated 13 Nov 2013 , 10:49pm by gourmetsharon

Kdeabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kdeabs Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 4:58am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I have a wedding cake for Saturday and the bride wants cascading fondant autumn leaves. I have the leaves all done and set and colored and they look AWESOME but... how do I attach them to the cake?

I have candy melts and I also have meringue powder (royal icing)... which should I use? I've seen both mentioned in forums in the past. And I will be setting the cake up on site so I'm concerned with it setting up fast.

I should also add that the leaves are "shaped"... dried on crumpled foil to get that just-fell-off-a-tree look. So I only have a few points of contact on each leaf.

Any and all input would be appreciated!

4 replies
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 6:36am
post #2 of 5

ARoyal icing the same colour as the cake x

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 8:53am
post #3 of 5

Hi kdeabs

I agree with cupcakemaker  - royal icing would work well for the curled leaves. 

However another option, which makes a good glue - for general use, is to take a small amount of fondant - same colour as cake base, break into small pieces and add a  drop of water. Melt in the microwave - on LOW heat, mix well at intervals - taking care not to burn it! Allow to cool before use. Transfer glue to small container or jar with lid. (to prevent drying out when not in use )

To adjust the consistency - (should resemble a thick syrup). The glue can be thinned out by adding a small drop of warm water, or thickened with some icing sugar - if it's too thin. Apply to fondant accents to base using a FINE brush..

Happy Cake Decorating!!!

Margaret393

Kdeabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kdeabs Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 5

AYou are both life savers! Thank you!

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 5

I am doing something similar on a buttercream cake.  Any suggestions?

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%