Is It Easy To Add Gluten-Free Items To My Menu Or Not A Good Idea

Business By Kiddiekakes Updated 8 Jul 2016 , 7:45am by gfbaby

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 2:37am
post #31 of 51

AI used to do specialty baking for diabetics and people with food allergies. I stopped after a family bought one of my diabetic cookies for their son. The little boy (about 6) was thrilled he could eat a cookie, and then showed me his insulin pump. I panicked! I knew my recipes, and I had a book available with the nutritional info, but I couldn't get over the "what if". I was a ball of stress for the next week fully expecting the parents to come back and tell me that precious little guy had a reaction.

It became too real for me just HOW important these things are to the people who live with them and one little mistake on my part could have SERIOUS consequences for someone else. It never happened, but I stepped away from it after that.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 2:46am
post #32 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

if i was able to handle the risk of my client's life & death in my workload i'd be a doctor not a freaking baker--just my $ .02

Same here.

Liz

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 2:48am
post #33 of 51

But to answer seriously, I wouldn't touch an order for a person with life threatening allergies with a ten foot pole. No way man. I don't want the worries about contamination, and frankly, I'm just not interested. I can fill the time with orders that don't require me to do all the extra cleaning and worrying. 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 2:59am
post #34 of 51

A

Original message sent by IAmPamCakes

Although- correct me if I'm wrong - isn't there a certification that a kitchen needs to be deemed completely gluten free?

There are certifications available (see link below), but they are not required. The only requirement per the FDA is that your products must contain <20ppm gluten if you advertise them as gluten-free.

http://www.celiaccentral.org/gluten-free-certification/

jason_kraft Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 3:15am
post #35 of 51

AInteresting perspectives in this thread. When my wife and I started our allergy-friendly bakery I knew it was more of a risk, but we didn't freak out about it, probably because my wife had several years experience working around my life-threatening allergies to eggs and nuts (she still enjoys eggs, peanut butter, thai food, etc.) and I trust her to avoid cross-contamination.

If you don't have that experience and the constant immediate feedback that you are doing things right I can see how it can be a little intimidating. But the greater risk comes with a greater reward, especially when parents send pictures of their school-age kids who are eating a real cake for the first time in their lives.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 3:26am
post #36 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

If you don't have that experience and the constant immediate feedback that you are doing things right I can see how it can be a little intimidating. But the greater risk comes with a greater reward, especially when parents send pictures of their school-age kids who are eating a real cake for the first time in their lives.

;-D

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 4:31am
post #37 of 51

AI wouldn't freak out either. I wouldn't take the order. Eat an apple, no gluten in there.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 10:37am
post #38 of 51

AI'm sorry, but if I had a child who was deathly allergic there would be no reason to take a risk. And I know a woman here who owns a gluten free bakery because her celiac disease is so bad she can't eat other people's gluten-free stuff without reacting. That tells me that it isn't gluten free...probably from someone who wipes the mixer down and "takes all the precautions" but doesn't know what they're doing.

I tell people that I'll do allergen free baking for sensitivities, but if it's such a real allergy and they have to carry an epipen I warn them that my kitchen isn't allergen free and they should probably go somewhere else. People also seem to think that it's trendy these days to avoid gluten and certain allergens, so if someone tells me they're allergic to something 90% of the time it turns out to be either a sensitivity or something they made up.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 11:26am
post #39 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I tell people that I'll do allergen free baking for sensitivities, but if it's such a real allergy and they have to carry an epipen I warn them that my kitchen isn't allergen free and they should probably go somewhere else. People also seem to think that it's trendy these days to avoid gluten and certain allergens, so if someone tells me they're allergic to something 90% of the time it turns out to be either a sensitivity or something they made up.

Ain't that the truth! 

pieceofcaketx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcaketx Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 11:59am
post #40 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

People also seem to think that it's trendy these days to avoid gluten and certain allergens, so if someone tells me they're allergic to something 90% of the time it turns out to be either a sensitivity or something they made up.

Oh yes, I've encountered this exact thing. Allergies are so cool , people who don't have them claim to have them just to have something to complain about.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 12:43pm
post #41 of 51

I own and run a Strictly Gluten-Free home based bakery.  I also accommodate other allergies.   I have Celiac Disease and agree completely with Carrie789 and AZCouture.  This is not a place to "dabble".  Food allergies and intolerance's are serious business.  I will not risk my health or the health of my customers by producing gluten products as well.  I don't eat out much either do to the cross-contamination issue.   And don't forget that making someone sick from a contaminated product can open up a whole can of legal issues.  Lots more to think about then recipes and prices.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 1:11pm
post #42 of 51

I make gluten-free cakes but will not make them for those with celiac.  I will not ever claim to be a gluten-free baker.  

Gluten-sensitive people, such as my father and sister, can eat my GF cakes without a problem.  They do not have celiac, but they experience bloating, slight stomach pain and joint pain when they eat gluten.  I made a gluten-free cake for a friend with MS who is gluten-sensitive and there was not a problem.  

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 1:51pm
post #43 of 51

ASo many of these reasons are why we won't accept orders for any allergen-free baked goods.

jason_kraft Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 2:51pm
post #44 of 51

ASo for those who make gluten-free cakes that may contain traces of gluten only for those with sensitivities, how do you plan on marketing these products after the new FDA requirement kicks in?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 2:53pm
post #45 of 51

Quote:

So for those who make gluten-free cakes that may contain traces of gluten only for those with sensitivities, how do you plan on marketing these products after the new FDA requirement kicks in?

That's the point, they shouldn't.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 3:38pm
post #46 of 51

I will accommodate sensitiveness, but not allergies. Completely irresponsible, imo, for a baker who is not properly set up to advertise anything-free.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 4:14pm
post #47 of 51

i'm just really glad there are bakeries (and products) dedicated to allergen free and who do it the right way--because in my experience the moms of these kids have been understandably but intrusively aggressive to give their kids the same food experiences as non allergic kids--but i will never understand the risk they were willing to take-- glad that period is over.

it only takes a handful of 'em pressing hard-- with the potential that their child might die as a result-- to be the giant baking buzzkill

more power to allergy friendly bakers! you rock! 

even though some (one) of you might get on my last nerve  :lol:  but still

jk jk jk kinda sorta

jason_kraft Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 4:21pm
post #48 of 51

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

because in my experience the moms of these kids have been understandably but intrusively aggressive to give their kids the same food experiences as non allergic kids

How are they being intrusive?

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 4:22pm
post #49 of 51

I put right on my website that I cannot accommodate gluten allergies, or any allergies for that matter. My products also have a label with ingredients that says while peanuts may not be an ingredient, I don't guarantee they're peanut-free. There is always a risk of trace amounts of anything - and trace amounts can hurt someone with a severe allergy. I won't risk the health of my customers.

More power to someone who has the done the research and prepared their kitchen/prep area to be safe for gluten-free, but I hope to God bakers don't just "throw some gluten-free items on the menu." If you're out there and reading this, STOP! STOP NOW! :smile:

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 4:34pm
post #50 of 51
Quote:

How are they being intrusive?

were intrusive

they wouldn't take no for an answer, and pleaded, a lot and repeatedly--and dang but baking is fun as opposed to life and death--and i just didn't have the spizzerinctum for that--they did wear me down but i would not budge--

i'm real sorry their munchkins got left out but not my problem--the mom's were the problem--they thought i was a softie and they could get their way.  not.

gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 7:45am
post #51 of 51

I just found this old thread...

I'm a gf cake baker in the UK and my kitchen is COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY GLUTENFREE. I am a high gluten intolerant and get ill just walking past abag of flour...! I cannot understand how any of these posters can even contemplate (and sincerely hope they have by now learned to appreciate the dire consequences, of) 'dabbling' with gf baking just to make a buck. I too, have cupboards full of various flours and cringe when I see local bakeries advertise that they can provide gf versions of their cakes. When questioned- this generally means they wash out their pans first and wipe down their surfaces.  Yearghhhh!!!! That would wipe me out for a month. 

I'm gonna echo other replies to your comment and also stalk you if that's ok. Sometimes I feel quite isolated and when I look at what other folks produce easily with gluten enhancement that I have to struggle to emulate without; it really is quite depressing. But challenging too. As you said- if anyone can tell its gf (and most of my clients are not) then I'm doing something very wrong.

Thank you. I'm glad I found this thread and you've made my day. Your cakes are totally gorgeous by the way!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%