Using Buttermilk Instead Of Milk?

Decorating By jaseyer Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 10:03pm by jennicake

jaseyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaseyer Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 11:59am
post #1 of 5

someone ordered a chocolate cake from me, they already tasted it but they said they wanted it to be more moist, if i use buttermilk instead of milk, will it make it more moist? this is the recipe i'm using. 

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
  •  

4 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 5

No buttermilk will not make the cake more moist. It's not logical. The difference between buttermilk and reg. milk is it's acid level, when baking. It's a lot like adding a tablespoon of lemon juice to your milk.....it's not going to make a cake more moist.

You could change the water and use coffee in it's place.............but that won't make the cake more moist, but it will enhance the chocolate flavor.

Make certain your not over baking your cake, that will effect it the most.

miniflowercake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miniflowercake Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 5

This is the exact same chocolate cake recipe I use and it has always been super moist. What temperature do you bake it at?

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 5

AIf they want it to be 'more moist' tell them to soak it in a bucket of water before eating.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 5

This is the same recipe I use (I even add more cocoa powder) and it's always been very moist for me... so much that I have to freeze it so that I can move thin layers around easily.  Are you maybe overbaking it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%