If You Were A Customer...

Business By TheItalianBaker Updated 23 Dec 2013 , 4:54am by BrandisBaked

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:44pm
post #31 of 48

AI don't doubt that if I were decorating that cake with a poured ganache and buttercream, it would take me 10 minutes (not bragging - I just know how quickly it can be done). There is far more profit when you can build your decorating speed up. As a customer, I wouldn't pay $45 for a cake that serves 12 unless it looks like a gourmet cake - not a Wilton cake.

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:48pm
post #32 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Chocolate, cream, fondant and raspberries must be very cheap where you are!

They're not, believe me.

We don't know, for example, if the fondant was already pre-made or if the raspberries were fresh as opposed to a pre-made raspberry filling.  If either/both were, that would justify lowering the price.

Maybe it's me, but I would expect something with more of a wow factor as part of justifying a higher price.  This cake doesn't have that, even if every element within it was made from scratch.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 6:55pm
post #33 of 48

AThen perhaps the business owner needs to rethink the amount of time and quality of ingredients they are using if the visual appeal of the cake doesn't justify the price. If a cake isn't worth $45 they shouldn't be spending $40 to make it.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 7:28pm
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 
If a cake isn't worth $45 they shouldn't be spending $40 to make it.

BINGO!

And I do think some people have been a little off with their comments on this thread. It's fun to kid about the price, no doubt!             But to make fun of it's looks at that price range.........what are you expecting.......a Picasso for $35.00? Get real. Wilton AIN'T that bad............with it out, 99.99% of us wouldn't even be decorating cakes. We'd all still be doing European style cakes with 0 sculpting.

BrandisBaked Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 7:39pm
post #35 of 48

AI never said Wilton was bad. But there are different degrees of quality and different price ranges that are appropriate for each level.

I think for a pre-made cake that is being put in the case, $45 is too high if the owner wants it to sell. If someone came in and wanted a custom cake that you could charge for and spend the extra time on - then it's worth the extra time and the extra charge. Otherwise, he is losing a lot more money if a cake that the customers see as overpriced ends up stale and in the garbage.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 8:48pm
post #36 of 48

I'd charge $45 just to make the fondant skeleton. And I'll say it - Wilton is bad :lol::lol::lol:

Gees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gees Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 11:42pm
post #37 of 48

how complicated it all is! hahaha

brendajarmusz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendajarmusz Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 3:35am
post #38 of 48

AA cake like that in our local grocery store would go for 40.00.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 7:56am
post #39 of 48

Ha, ! $10.  The cake is old now and he is marking down old stock to clear it.

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 11:16am
post #40 of 48

A

Original message sent by Godot

Outrageous price at $35! Not worth more than $20.

Ignore it and move on to more useful and positive information. Deliciousdesserts just started a learning/teaching thread on this very topic..look under "New Posts".

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 2:21pm
post #41 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiernurse 

Ignore it and move on to more useful and positive information. Deliciousdesserts just started a learning/teaching thread on this very topic..look under "New Posts".

thanks, i'll check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

I don't doubt that if I were decorating that cake with a poured ganache and buttercream, it would take me 10 minutes (not bragging - I just know how quickly it can be done). There is far more profit when you can build your decorating speed up. As a customer, I wouldn't pay $45 for a cake that serves 12 unless it looks like a gourmet cake - not a Wilton cake.

I cant really see how you can do it in 10 minute, since I put the cake in the fridge between the crumb coat and the final one for 10minute at least.. and icing the skeleton and all the little spot.. Do you have a faster way to do it?

Anyways, I remade it yesterday for a customer, with no interruptions and trying to be as quicker as I could, It took me 1h and 3 min: cut, fill, crumbcoat, fridge, final coat, skeleton..

BrandisBaked Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 2:30pm
post #42 of 48

ACakes can be decorated very quickly if you focus on increasing your speed. I have decorated 3 tier wedding cakes in less than 30 minutes. I am talking only about decorating time. The time a cake spends in the fridge doesn't count because you should be wOrKing on something else during that time.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 3:13pm
post #43 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

Cakes can be decorated very quickly if you focus on increasing your speed. I have decorated 3 tier wedding cakes in less than 30 minutes. I am talking only about decorating time. The time a cake spends in the fridge doesn't count because you should be wOrKing on something else during that time.

yes--this is professional decorating

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 3:56pm
post #44 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheItalianBaker 

Anyways, I remade it yesterday for a customer, with no interruptions and trying to be as quicker as I could, It took me 1h and 3 min: cut, fill, crumbcoat, fridge, final coat, skeleton..

That seems right to me. If you wanted to cut your time and make it more profitable make more than one at a time. If you made 3 at a time it might take you only 30 minutes more. So 90 minutes total divided by 3 cakes = 30 minutes per cake = more profit. Of course, that doesn't do you any good if you won't sell them......

brendajarmusz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendajarmusz Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 4:18am
post #45 of 48

AWell said Stitches, i get tired of people always talking bad about wilton products and wilton classes etc. I am a wilton method instructor and i know how to decorate and make cakes and other baked goods. Its been my lifes work and im constantly hearing on here how bad wilton products are and how they just hire anyone to teach the classes. Its true that there may be some out there that are horrible but not all!!!:(

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 3:43am
post #46 of 48

Ok, even if you make minimum wage then $35 makes no profit.  Ganache is expensive to make, and fondant is also expensive.  $45 is cheap!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 3:57am
post #47 of 48

A

Original message sent by brendajarmusz

Well said Stitches, i get tired of people always talking bad about wilton products and wilton classes etc. I am a wilton method instructor and i know how to decorate and make cakes and other baked goods. Its been my lifes work and im constantly hearing on here how bad wilton products are and how they just hire anyone to teach the classes. Its true that there may be some out there that are horrible but not all!!!:(

Right, just like you said, some of the products are horrible, and some of the instructors are awful. Heck, some high end professional equipment is horrible and some of the foo foo specialty instructors are awful! Some can make pretty cakes, but teaching just ain't their calling. The only things from Wilton I still have in my arsenal of tools are the two rolling pibs (the solid white ones, large and the tiny one). Can't say I care for much else they offer, other than the fondant for dummies and figurines.

BrandisBaked Posted 23 Dec 2013 , 4:54am
post #48 of 48

AI buy Wilton cookie cutters and decorating tips. Haven't had much luck with their other products. Personal preference. I am actually in this business because of wilton... My mom bought one of their catalogs in 1977 and I couldn't put it down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%