Wilton Craftsy Classes

Decorating By emetz74 Updated 5 Oct 2013 , 12:43am by lsully66

emetz74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emetz74 Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 9:44am
post #1 of 11

Hi, everyone!

I am new to cake decorating and like to do it for fun. I am really busy and fitting classes in to my schedule is hard. I saw that you can do Wilton classes through Craftsy. Has anyone ever done it or any online decorating class and if so, would you recommend it? Or should I try to go to a face-to-face class instead? Thanks for any input you have!

10 replies
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 10:15am
post #2 of 11

AI love craftsy but I don't think you can beat a real class for your first one.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 11:01am
post #3 of 11

AI agree completely. There's something about having the instructor there in person when you're learning the true basics like piping bag pressure.

emetz74 Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 11:27am
post #4 of 11

I have taken a class through my local cake shop. It was a four-week class and she said she does a lot of what Wilton teachers in theirs so I do have some experience. I think I should probably just find the time so I can ask questions. I always have lots of them!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 11

AI'd say try one of the free Craftsy classes and see what you think of it. I think a lot of what Wilton teaches in its classes is outdated, the in store classes are designed around showcasing various products they want you to buy, that you might never use again. But that's just my opinion.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 11

I still think Wilton gives a really solid start to decorating/caking but I also know it depends of the instructor.  I still use techniques I learned from my Wilton Instructor,  but she was also someone who had her own shop for many years, involved in ICES and the list goes on.  I was very lucky to have such an experienced instructor.   I also like some of the Craftsy classes for different techniques, tips & tricks -   Have a few  

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 11

I love the Craftsy classes.  No options for real classes in the places where I have lived my life so it is nice to have another option from books and cake club.

emetz74 Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks, everyone!

The Craftsy class is $25 and am I reading it right that I can access it again and again? That's a big selling point for me. I may just try it and if I hate it, take a class in person.

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 11

AYes you can watch them over and over forever. There is always a sale so wait until its on offer!

emetz74 Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 12:42am
post #10 of 11

AI think I'll give it a shot.

lsully66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsully66 Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 12:43am
post #11 of 11

I took all the Wilton classes and loved being there to share ideas with other students. Plus you learn new tricks and tips for other people in the class not just the instructor.

I have also stayed in touch with my instructor and she follows my cakes on facebook, plus helps with problems and question I have still to this day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%