Feel Like Quitting

Lounge By BatterUpCake Updated 5 Oct 2013 , 1:32pm by cakealicious7

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:39pm
post #31 of 49

YOU DO NOT GET TO QUIT!!!    Everyone has off days.

You just started school, first time working with ganache, unsure of some techniques, painting pink fondant red - this is enough pressure to make anyone have a tough day and you still turned out a pretty nice truck!!  Good job!

I do agree with ApplegumPam about having a solid foundation - takes a ton of pressure off. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:46pm
post #32 of 49

wow--your client will be delighted--

geez just going by how upset you were (and i totally get yah) 

you turned out a very nice rig-- congrats!

the score:

nervous breakdown 1

batter up cake 1

at least you're even ;)

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:49pm
post #33 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I have a really big opinion of tutorials, and they are do more harm than good at times, giving people the impression that all they need to do is watch one, and bam, they're gonna turn out equal work. There are so many things with this work that cannot be learned any other way than doing it over and over and over. Pressure of the spatula, texture and thickness, time needed, I could go on and on. Things you just can't try once or twice and have them work out perfectly. Not really aimed at you BU, but I'm sorry to say, people in general who bite off more than they can chew, and really need more basics time in before selling or taking on things that really require a LOT of skill.

I have to agree with this. I hate to say that but it is true. I spent years in school, interning, working from the ground up and I still would never try a new technique on a cake going out the door. I am praying for you, fingers crossed for you and hope your sleeping by now and all is well!! Update when you can!!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:49pm
post #34 of 49

AI think they'll be pretty happy with that. Looks like a big truck too!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:52pm
post #35 of 49

Thank you!! The truck box is 12 1/2" by 5"

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:52pm
post #36 of 49

This is what i get for thinking the post is only one page long lol... the cake looks great! Get some rest!!!

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:09pm
post #37 of 49

I think you did an awesome job BatterUp! I'm sure they aren't wanting exact replica. I learned these kind of cakes take so much more time than I have.

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:14pm
post #38 of 49

AThanks. She loved it. And placed another order for her grandkids Birthday

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:52pm
post #39 of 49

Came out great!  Each one will get better and faster with practice.  I have sent out a few cakes I didn't feel confident doing, but they turned out fine after MUCH frustration.  Baptism by fire!

Adding:  I don't do wedding cakes...would not want that at my level, for the bride or for myself.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:52pm
post #40 of 49

ABatterUpCake - Good Job! Don't quit, best wishes with your baking school.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 5:28am
post #41 of 49

Love it, you did a really good job. Had a peak at your cake stands and they are gorgeous - wish you lived closer so I could treat myself to a few:(

BatterUpCake Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 12:30pm
post #42 of 49

I do ship!

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 3:22pm
post #43 of 49

AGorgeous cake stands! I have bookmarked your page so I can give it to brides.

BatterUpCake Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 4:35pm
post #44 of 49

Thank you!!

VANILLAPLAZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VANILLAPLAZA Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 1:38am
post #45 of 49

Hello there and how did you get on in the end. Your post made me smile C:

I'm a newbie both to CC  and decorating and  I  stay up all night even for cakes I make free ( for friends and family). I thought it got better but even my teacher said she still bakes through night after 20 years in the business!!!

BatterUpCake Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 2:04am
post #46 of 49

When there is something I am unsure of I cannot sleep. I knew i had the skills to make this cake in parts...but doing it as a whole had me petrified. I did not sleep. It is like that for me with every new project...cake related or not. I actually think I could have done better had I not been so stressed. But in the end the customer absolutely loved it and ordered another cake before I left. Does that mean I am satisfied and think I don't need to improve? NO!! It is still not to my satisfaction and I will continue to work on my skills.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 2:14am
post #47 of 49

Taking on difficult things and pushing our limits past what we think we can do is very important in life.  It's what we teach children to do in school, so we should set the example as adults.  It builds confidence and teaches persistence.

I did a cake that was way past my level.  I finished it, it came out okay, the people loved it, but it still was so hard!  But now everything is easy in comparison.

More important for me, I know my emotional limits with cakes.  No more 3-tier ginormously heavy scary cakes for 200 people for me.  I want to stick to smaller stuff with pretty flowers.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 1:30pm
post #48 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANILLAPLAZA 

Hello there and how did you get on in the end. Your post made me smile C:

I'm a newbie both to CC  and decorating and  I  stay up all night even for cakes I make free ( for friends and family). I thought it got better but even my teacher said she still bakes through night after 20 years in the business!!!

be real careful with this 'up all night'--

i'd like to gently suggest you work on managing your time better--

it's more important than new cake skills or cake toys even and that's saying a mouthful--

your health will take enough knocks without doing this on purpose--

just a gentle suggestion for you to consider--safety first--

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 1:32pm
post #49 of 49

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

be real careful with this 'up all night'--

i'd like to gently suggest you work on managing your time better--

it's more important than new cake skills or cake toys even and that's saying a mouthful--

your health will take enough knocks without doing this on purpose--

just a gentle suggestion for you to consider--safety first--

[COLOR=9933FF]♥[/COLOR]

Love this advice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%