Professional Help!!! How Much Buttercream To Use

Decorating By chefywendy Updated 20 Jan 2014 , 9:16pm by chefywendy

chefywendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefywendy Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!

i was hoping someone can help me out here. i have make a 12 inch and a 10 inch round cake each with  4 layers of cake. i was wondering how much buttercream (Italian) should i make and how much  should i use to fill each layer of cake.

Thanks a bunch!:D

7 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 8

AI have between 31-40 oz SMBC for a 10-inch round in my notes. It all depends on how thick you like your filing to be. Most times I have a couple of ounces leftover. P.S. When you do this cake, takes notes of the amounts of bc or ganache or whatever you use. It's a good habit thatccomes in handy in situations like this.

scwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scwright Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 8

AI agree with vg, keep track of how much the recipe you use yields for now just make one batch or two just to be safe and make notes of how much you use for each cake

vgcea Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:38am
post #4 of 8

AGood grace! Just reading my post on the computer. SMH, typing from my phone is not a good idea. LOL.

chefywendy Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks vg that's what im going to do!:D

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 8

Not sure if this will help you or not but..........I was taught many yrs ago that for each batch of batter/cake mix used one batch of ABC using 2# of sure is enough.  Therefore I would make 5 batches for that size cake.

vgcea Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 4:44am
post #7 of 8

AUPDATE: After reading Kakeladi's post I thought, that's a heck of a lot more than what I estimated so I went back to my notes. Sure enough, she's right. What I quoted in my first post was for filling the 10 inch round only. I decided to do a bit of math and the numbers add up close to Kakeladi's recommendation so FOR OTHER FOLKS WHO MAY SEARCH THIS QUESTION, you'll need way more BC. here's what I got (and PM'ed OP):

The last time I measured my SMBC I got 5.5 oz per cup. Depending on how much you use for filling, you could use 1.5 cups to 2 cups per layer of filling for the 10 inch-- meaning between 4.5 to 6 cups to fill the 10 inch round = 24.75 oz to 33 oz for filling the 10 inch round.

For a 12 inch round I would estimate an additional 3/4 cup per layer i.e. 6.75 cups to 8.25 cups = 35.75 oz to 45.4 oz

Total fillings: 60.5 oz to 78.4 oz

The average 6 egg white batch of SMBC (1:2:3) yields about 34.5 oz BC

To cover and decorate the 10 inch and 12 inch cakes, I would guestimate a quadruple batch i.e 138 oz

Total for both cakes: 198.5 oz to 216.4 oz i.e. between 5.75 to 6.3 BATCHES of the basic recipe.

Hope that helps.

chefywendy Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 8

AThank you so much i ended up doind some math but yours seems soooooo much better than mine lol, thank you so much for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%