The Saga Of My Poor, Poor Poppy Cake

Decorating By Elcee Updated 5 Oct 2013 , 12:47am by JWinslow

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 12:55pm
post #31 of 45

Mimi, I sent you a PM with the photographer's name :) .

vgcea, thank you so much for that. I really like some of what you wrote and will incorporate some of it into my final draft. Some of it, I am saving in case the situation escalates...for instance, if she refuses my polite request, I will get a little more insistent and bring in my financial loss and I'd be a little more accusatory regarding the damage. I really want to get this done so I'm going to try to get the final message out to her today.

Evoir, I know, and that makes me nervous. Even if she doesn't associate my name, I stull wouldn't want her to use the pictures, even though can. It's why I referred to them as "images of my work". I'm really hoping she'll do the right thing.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 2:31pm
post #32 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by vgcea 

Elcee, the tricky thing is, since the photographer took the photos, he/she has a right to the photos and can do with them as he/she pleases. I think you could suggest they remove or the photos of the cakes but if they must use the photos, they must remove your name from it. You have a right to not have your business associated with the photos even if you don't have rights to the actual photos.

If anything, I would suggest a tone that points to how disappointed you are at how the whole thing was handled. You want them to feel the need to apologize not fight back. Here's what I would send:

Dear photographer,
Thank you for including my work in the photoshoot dated x/y/2013. I had looked forward to having my work showcased along with the best in the industry, and I trusted my work into your hands with that expectation. Unfortunately, for reasons best known to you, the result has not been the case. I'm sure you will agree with me that what you have photographed is drastically different from what I placed in your care.

Not only is this unfortunate turn of events a significant hit to me financially as that display cake was worth $300, the pictures add salt to injury by displaying a cake that is below my standards. Those photos put me in a bad light for future business from potential clients who would see this poor representation and think this is the quality of work I produce.

As a way of moving forward, I'm requesting that these inaccurate representations of my work be removed from the collection. Also, I would appreciate it if you would remove my name from these images, and the photoshoot as a whole.

I hope this would not be as much of an inconvenience for you as it has been for me. I appreciate you for your consideration, and hope we have another opportunity to collaborate in a way that puts both of our businesses in good light. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Elcee.

That's so well written - I love it!

Elcee Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:34am
post #33 of 45

OK, I  emailed her, using mostly my original letter with a few tweaks. I really want to keep the tone cordial and non-confrontational or accusatory. We are part of the same networking group; we have to work together in this city and our paths are bound to cross again.

I'm just heartbroken because I so wanted to have those photos in my portfolio. If not for the damage, they're so pretty. I've been trying to think of a room in my house that I can decorate in purple and red without driving my husband away!

emetz74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emetz74 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 1:00am
post #34 of 45

No advice here, I'm a just-for-fun person, but your cake was beautiful.

Elcee Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:04am
post #35 of 45

Ohhh, I feel just sick to my stomach...despite the fact that I asked on July 27th to see the pictures of my cake prior to submission for any publication, I just found out they were sent already. There appears to have been a breakdown in communication between the planner (my contact) and the photographer (who actually facilitated the shoot). She did offer to try to fix the situation by attempting to pull the pictures but she doesn't know if she can.

This just keeps getting worse. :cry::cry::cry:

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:10am
post #36 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elcee 

Ohhh, I feel just sick to my stomach...despite the fact that I asked on July 27th to see the pictures of my cake prior to submission for any publication, I just found out they were sent already. There appears to have been a breakdown in communication between the planner (my contact) and the photographer (who actually facilitated the shoot). She did offer to try to fix the situation by attempting to pull the pictures but she doesn't know if she can.

This just keeps getting worse. :cry::cry::cry:

Oh Elcee,  This is just not right!  She has to pull them.   Do they understand the impact on you?  I don't know how you stay so calm - my Irish would be out in full force :)

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:14am
post #37 of 45

Yes, and if the planner can't pull them, maybe a letter from your lawyer to the publication can do it - but act swiftly before anything goes to print.

Liz

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:41am
post #38 of 45

:-t  Oh no!! I hope she can get those pulled for you -  I like Liz's advice if she doesn't. 

Elcee Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:58am
post #39 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWinslow 

Oh Elcee,  This is just not right!  She has to pull them.   Do they understand the impact on you?  I don't know how you stay so calm - my Irish would be out in full force :)

My first email was calm and professional. My second wasn't so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Yes, and if the planner can't pull them, maybe a letter from your lawyer to the publication can do it - but act swiftly before anything goes to print.

Liz

I honestly never even thought of that. But since the actual photos are hers, I don't think I really have any true say in what she does with them, do I?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 

:-t  Oh no!! I hope she can get those pulled for you -  I like Liz's advice if she doesn't.

Thanks...me too.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 11:30am
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

Linda, all is not lost. These photos do not represent your best work. But to the untrained eyes of brides-to-be, the photos show a lovely cake.

Elcee Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 12:30pm
post #41 of 45

I have to get to work but I did want to post a quick update.  The photographer emailed me last night after my more emotional message. She sent me a Photoshopped version of one of the pictures and it looks really good. I'll post it tonight. She also seems to understand more about where I'm coming from now, too.

We are going to talk later. I might be willing to give her another chance. I think I'm done with that planner, though.

Thanks all!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 1:30pm
post #42 of 45

Good ending to this situation!

Liz

JWinslow Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 1:35pm
post #43 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Good ending to this situation!

Liz

;-D 

Elcee Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 12:24am
post #44 of 45

What a difference! Now, to get the uglies replaced...

JWinslow Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 12:47am
post #45 of 45

What a difference indeed!  Not too shabby lady!  Very Pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%