Need Help In Making Chess Pieces

Decorating By suvimaal Updated 29 Sep 2013 , 4:23am by suvimaal

suvimaal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suvimaal Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 5

I

I need to do a twilight themed cake for a frnd of mine.but i dont have any chess piece molds yet. i got one week to do the cake.next 6th is his b'day. i cant even order a chess mold from Ebay or amazon cause i live in Sri Lanka It takes more than one week to receive the stuff we order always. please suggest me a way to make chess pieces by myself. i'm really scared of this now. even rite nw 2.30am i'm still awake. really needs help for this cake.Friends, please suggest something 

4 replies
KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 5

I'm assuming you're making the cake similar to the one in the photo?

One possibility is rather than make the chess pieces 3D, make them 2D by cutting them out of fondant (using a template printed off the internet) and placing them on the side of the cake, then put your other 3D pieces around the cake, similar to the photo.  That might be less stressful, but just about as effective.

Otherwise, maybe just practice making 3D pieces with scraps of fondant/gum paste.  Have you searched onine for tutorials?  There seems to be a tutorial for making just about anything nowadays.  :)

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 5

Do you have access to a craft store, like we have Michael's here in the states? You can buy "make your own mold" putty. If you know someone with a chess set, you can mold the pieces yourself and then use your homemade molds. I just did this for the first time a couple weeks ago. I wanted a seahorse and a starfish but no time to order them. I found sea-themed charms in the jewelry-making section, really cheap, and made my molds. It's ridiculously easy and fast! The putty firms up to be a flexible silicone-like material. Pretty cool.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 2:47am
post #4 of 5

Those are very simple to do in gumpaste or fondant/tylose and probably will look better if you don't use a mold. You do need a set of small round cutters.

suvimaal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suvimaal Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 4:23am
post #5 of 5

yeah i want to make it simillar to the cake in pic. thats what my frnd send me to do the cake simillar to tht one.it was the only twilight themed cake he liked after we googled. @KathleenC yes i think 2D shaped wud be much  better choice too. i wud have ordered it from online if i got the cake concept before. or i shud make something which is easier than chess pieces. @dawnybird yeah it woukd be better idea too. to make molds myself with silicone . got only one week to do. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%