California Cottage Food Law

Business By Hajnalka Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 10:22pm by cakecrzy

Hajnalka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hajnalka Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 5

Probably we move to California soon, so I asked around for some information about home bakery. I happily found out about the cottage food law. But it says no cream because it has to be refrigerated. So no ganache. But Ganached cake doesn't has to be refrigerated...so how is it works? Once it cools down it's became solid.

,,The legal definition of non-potentially hazardous foods is that they have a pH of less than 4.6 and aw value of 0.85 or less. Foods that are perishable, such as cheesecakes, or custard fillings, or meringue pies, are not covered in the law.'' 

ganache has cream in it, but doesn't has to be refrigerated. Any thought about it?   

4 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 12:12am
post #2 of 5

AAsk your local health department. Counties differ in opinion sometimes about what is useable or not. Or, have your recipe tested (ask your health department what labs are good to use).

Hajnalka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hajnalka Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 12:16am
post #3 of 5

Thanks, I'm not there yet, but it's sounds reasonable. Hopefully ganache can pass the test :) 

tennilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennilley Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 4:52am
post #4 of 5

AI just had a ganache recipe pass :) basic 2:1 ratio. Luckily I hooked up with another baker who lives close to a lab, so she drove her sample there and we split the $100 fee

cakecrzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrzy Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 5

tennilley do you only crumb coat your fondant cakes with ganache? I like real buttercream but with switching to CA cottage food laws...having a difficult time finding a frosting that works as well besides using ganache. Finishing experimenting before going to file for my application with all my recipes. Thank you for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%