Guest Threatening To Picket Business - Help!!!

Business By TheNerdyBaker Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 1:10pm by kikiandkyle

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 1:30am
post #31 of 89

I didn't say to quit...I said to work elsewhere.  Surely there are other cake shops in the area of Whittier, CA?

But now it seems that OP has spoken with his boss about the issues he was having and seems to have worked out a solution.  Very good.

I know it is not easy to just up and get another job.  

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 1:35am
post #32 of 89

Well what kind of advice did you want? There really isn't anything you can do, not being the owner. I totally understand caring about your job and you seem very involved but ultimately the responsibility belongs to the owner. I think any employer would be happy to have an employee who cares as much as you.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 1:50am
post #33 of 89

AI think that if you were advising a friend in a similar situation, with the same info you gave, you'd probably advise them to start looking for alternate employment too. People can only go by whats in your post, and in this case it sounded like you were pounding your head against a brick wall with a boss that won't listen to reason.

I'm glad that's not the case, hopefully this won't be an issue in the future.

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:19am
post #34 of 89

@Sassyzan, no, I don't live in a vacuum. Thanks for asking.

@cakefat, I'm glad your company seeks legal and " how should I run this business " advice from the bottom tier, manual labor employees.

The OP stated himself that the business as been running for 3 years and that several times, he tried to give insight to the owner on some procedures that he should definitely implement to run smoothly. All of which seems to have been ignored over a lengthy period of time. The OP is obviously a kind and too caring of a person. He needs to just sit back, do the proper job his been doing all this time and stop caring about the way the owners want to run THEIR business. For some reason I doubt the OP salary reflects his work as a decorator / legal / business and management insights. Especially since he already tried over a lengthy period of time to get some things to change without avail.

And having a boss with poor business practices is hardly a reason to walk out the door. At least not until a better job is secured. And as far as everyone in here knows, a 200$ cake refund over a 3 year period might be a lot cheaper then getting boxes and doing things right. It's how the car industry works, as long as compensating damages and injuries is cheaper then a recall, they don't do recalls.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:27am
post #35 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyro 

@cakefat, I'm glad your company seeks legal and " how should I run this business " advice from the bottom tier, manual labor employees.

wow-you've got some issues.

It's called teamwork and that's how a business should operate.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:44am
post #36 of 89

AI can see this is going to get ugly...

*bowing out*

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:49am
post #37 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakefat

I thought the same thing - if everyone who works as the lowly labourer ignored issues then changes and improvements that are required would never be implemented. Team work and communication are the key to a successful business.

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:51am
post #38 of 89

but if the bosses don't listen how long do you bang your head against the wall as the lowly employee???

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:57am
post #39 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

I can see this is going to get ugly...

*bowing out*

Maybe spend some time in a Cake Safe  

:lol:

bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:03am
post #40 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadiaa 

lol - I am curious about these cake safes - looked them up the other day but couldn't find how they actually work (not that I want one - just curious).

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:14am
post #41 of 89
  • a cake board with red & black icing smeared by hand all over the left side of the board, where there is no fallen cake pieces.
  • a cake on a board which is such a large board it couldn't fit on car seat without a 30 degree tilt.  But supposedly had been sitting on a car seat with two tennis racket handles pointing in that direction. Red icing on the racket handle
  • a kid with his hands & wrists so covered in icing that it is smeared over his wrists and up to his forearms and to the sides of his hands.
  • :detective:
BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:17am
post #42 of 89

LOL...all of the posts on here are jokes because the site was getting spammed. I have heard they are a good product. There is a video on their site explaining

BrandisBaked Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:20am
post #43 of 89

A

Original message sent by Nadiaa

Maybe spend some time in a Cake Safe   :lol:

I should buy one and bury it in my back yard to use as a shelter in case of world war III or a zombie apocalypse.

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:21am
post #44 of 89

I heard they are impenetrable to gamma rays

bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:27am
post #45 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

LOL...all of the posts on here are jokes because the site was getting spammed. I have heard they are a good product. There is a video on their site explaining

lol thankyou.

BrandisBaked Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:37am
post #46 of 89

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

I heard they are impenetrable to gamma rays

I bet that's why cockroaches can survive anything... They all have CakeSafes! :lol:

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:38am
post #47 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

I bet that's why cockroaches can survive anything... They all have CakeSafes! icon_lol.gif

So they really do come in all sizes! Who knew?!

kikiandkyle Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:52am
post #48 of 89

AMaybe that's what I need to do for hurricane preparedness.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 5:22am
post #49 of 89

HHis shirt clearly states he is reckless, and he had it laying in the seat. Let them picket.

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 11:04am
post #50 of 89

LOL..Anna you have such a great eye for detail. I agree. I don't think a couple of nutjobs picketing a business is going to hurt the business at all.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 12:26pm
post #51 of 89

AI would encourage them to come and picket, and as soon as they start to look a bit tired I would bring out some free cupcakes. Who's going to turn down a free cupcake? It would certainly take the oomph out of their picketing if they took a break to enjoy the product they are protesting! I think it would be hilarious, but then I am a bit odd. :D

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 12:48pm
post #52 of 89

Or stand there and offer free mini cupcakes to passerbys with a big friendly smile while they are picketing...lol

kikiandkyle Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 1:08pm
post #53 of 89

ASeriously who says they're going to picket somewhere?! Are they bringing their giant inflatable rat too (if you have ever lived in Chicago you know what I'm talking about). Please.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 10:27pm
post #54 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadiaa 

I agree 100%!  :lol: But watch out for the pole!

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 10:46pm
post #55 of 89

I thought that was a stripper pole!

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 10:48pm
post #56 of 89

Don't know if this a fact...But, I was told when you refund money you are admitting fault.  Therefore opening yourself up for other liability  Such as punitive damages...You ruined my wedding reception....not just wanting refund for cake only  wanting more than just a refund...maybe new upholstry in car because red stain won't come out etc

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 11:57pm
post #57 of 89

A lot of time I'm not sure why people bother responding to posts that annoy them.   Takes much less time to just move along.

That being said, consult with a lawyer, pay the cleaning bill, or put up with a picket.   I would really have them sign off on responsibility of the cake.   How that isn't even a no-brainer that you assume responsibility for your food item after pick up boggles me.  I guess its the same as all those warning labels "don't use this toilet brush for personal hygiene."  

I've seen pickets of lone customers at car dealerships...I just thought it was weird.

and the assumed responsibility of a refund is definitely something to look into.   I worked at a place that had lost a lawsuit for something and we were told to never apologize no matter what happened.   The word "sorry" was stricken from our vocabulary because apologizing assumed responsibility for what happened regardless if the circumstances were in our control or not.

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 12:01am
post #58 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakefat 

wow-you've got some issues.

I sure can appreciate the only thing you have brought to this thread is boasting of your status as " someone who hires for a company " and personal attacks against myself. Maybe I should start all my replies with the fact that at 19years old I was running a division of a company and had 15 employees on payroll. * rolls eyes *. Or how you just grab bits of anything I said so far and change the original topic to a completely different one ( should employees be engaged in a company and be open about procedures they feel need improvement ).

Since you didn't even bother to read, the OP said: he tried multiple times over a length of time  to get some things to change to improve the way the owners do business. And NOTHING was done.

Exactly like BatterUpCake said, how long is he supposed to keep beating his head against a wall if they are clearly not listening ? Apparently for ever huh?  Which brings me back to my first post in this thread, the OP should stop caring about trying to get things changed. Management is not open to feedback so why should he bring needless stress or headaches to himself for no reason. All he should do is keep doing a proper job and carry on. OP as plenty of advice already and anything else I add will be off topic so I'm moving on.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 1:17am
post #59 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicgeisha 
I worked at a place that had lost a lawsuit for something and we were told to never apologize no matter what happened.   The word "sorry" was stricken from our vocabulary because apologizing assumed responsibility for what happened regardless if the circumstances were in our control or not.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've been sued a bunch of times. This is just a guess, but juries and judges have to find something to sway them or base a decision on, so it might not necessarily be a technicality kind of thing, but maybe something that can help you lose the lawsuit. That may be totally wrong. I do know one thing, a false lawsuit can leave a person traumatized and I don't blame them if the words sorry never come out of their mouths again.

It's a real shame the effects lawsuits have on individuals and the way things are done in this country in general.

BatterUpCake Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 1:36am
post #60 of 89

In a civil case they do not have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, but rather by a preponderance of evidence.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%