Cricut Expression - Good Deal

Lounge By cserwa Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 11:13pm by tiggy2

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 9

Hi!  Someone help!  I know virtually nothing about Cricuts, other than as I continue getting more and more into party planning, it's obvious I'll need one.  There's a new one on Amazon for 179 but doesn't appear to come with any cartridges.  There's a new one on Craigslist with a 12X12 mat and 4 cartridges (essentials, alphabet, decals, and just a note).  It's a Cricut Expression 2 5th anniversary model for 150.  Anyone have ANY clue if this is a good deal, or if I'm better to just buy new from Amazon (like if I won't necessarily use the cartridges very often).  Some review boards say that you don't really need the cartridges if you get the software.  It's about a 30 minute drive, so I'm wondering if I'm just better to spend 30 more and get new from amazon, but I don't get any cartridges/matt.  Again, I know NOTHING about this, so I figured I'd ask one of the CC gals for some advice!  TIA!!!

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 9

You can no longer use software with cricut so you would have to buy cartridges.

cserwa Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you!  I appreciate it!  Are you advising that I just spend the 150 and get the new with the 4 cartridges?  In your opinion? 

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 9

AI would save the money you would use on cartridges & buy the Silhoutte. Then, you can cut anything you want!

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 1:02am
post #5 of 9

I have an original Cricut Cake that I have never updated, and I got the software when it was available.  I would NEVER consider getting something without software, as most of what I cut is not from cartridges.  If I were in the market now, I would NOT get the Cricut.

JMO!

cserwa Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you all for the feedback.  Like I said, I know NOTHING about this, so it's HUGELY appreciated!  Why doesn't Cricut let you buy software anymore?  Is their money made in the cartridges?  I just don't understand why people WOULD buy the Cricut if you have to constantly buy expensive cartridges that you'll only use once or twice...but when I look on their website, it says you can download CraftRoom or something.  But maybe that can ONLY be used with the images you get from the cartridges you have to buy...

tiggy2 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 9

Provocraft sued the software companies so they can't be used with the cricut machines. Cricut craftroom can only be used with the cartridges you have, and yes, they make their money off the cartridges.

cserwa Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 9

Oh wow.  That would get super expensive...FAST.  Thanks for the feedback.  That helps so much!  By the way, I love your book cake pic, Tiggy!

tiggy2 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by cserwa 

Oh wow.  That would get super expensive...FAST.  Thanks for the feedback.  That helps so much!  By the way, I love your book cake pic, Tiggy!

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%