Softening Fondant Already On A Cake

Decorating By ulanjac Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 5:54pm by cheeseball

ulanjac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ulanjac Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 5

Hello, I haven't been doing cakes very long and I am going to be ding my first painted on fondant cake next week. I was wondering how to keep the fondant from drying out while I am applying the paint to the cake? I am using vodka with my color to help dry the paint faster, but I am concerned with the fondant drying out because I slow with the painting process. Any tips help would be appreciated!

4 replies
cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 5

I'm thinking that you would have to be painting for a looong time for it to dry out completely.  It'll dry on the outside but not inside where it's touching the cake.

ulanjac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ulanjac Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 5

ATha[quote name="cheeseball" url="/t/763310/softening-fondant-already-on-a-cake#post_7441153"]I'm thinking that you would have to be painting for a looong time for it to dry out completely.  It'll dry on the outside but not inside where it's touching the cake. Thank you. I was going to initially roll out the fondant, paint on the design since its the pattern then apply the fondant. I just didn't want the paint to smear when I applied.

cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 5

Gotcha.  You're actually going to want to paint after you apply the fondant to the cake, or it will dry out on you.

cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 5

Wait - unless you're talking about a plaque (that word looks weird if you look at it for too long) or something.  If you're talking about painting the entire surface of the cake, then yeah, apply the fondant first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%